Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Signs of Cognitive Decline
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Signs of Cognitive Decline

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two incidents this morning reminded me that older persons often have declining mental faculties.

1. I was trying to locate my credit cards, which are located in a small Velcro-secured holder together with other cards of similar size. I knew I had last seen it yesterday in my "backpack", a bag I hang on the handles of my wheelchair. I spent quite some time scooting around my room attempting to locate it. I was almost at the point of giving up and going to my vehicle to see if the item was there. Then I looked down, and there on my lap was the holder. I had evidently removed it from the "backpack" and forgot I had done so. I'm glad there were no other observers to cause me embarrassment. [emoticon]

2. About the same time as the first incident, I couldn't locate my reading glasses, which are always kept on the table where my PC is located. I still haven't found the glasses, so I'm using a spare pair usually kept in my "backpack". Quite frustrating because I know they're only a few feet away and never removed from the room.
[emoticon]

Yep, getting older has its drawbacks!

* This post was edited 02/11/21 11:09am by an administrator/moderator *

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually find my missing reading glasses on my face.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UPDATE: just FOUND my reading glasses. they were in the kitchen silverware drawer! I had used them this morning to read instructions on a box of oatmeal, and absentmindedly placed them in the drawer. [emoticon]

I also think there was a contributing factor why I didn't see the case on my lap. My left arm is paralyzed, so I often drape it over my lap, possibly hiding any item located there. So, at least I have somewhat of an excuse. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 02/11/21 10:00am by mr. ed *

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

many years ago while he was still working my best buddy came home from work and changed out of his uniform (LEO). later he was going to run an errand to the grocery store but couldn't find his car keys. he said he looked everywhere for them but no joy so he ran the errand using his wife's keys. returning home he was putting away the groceries when he found his keys...in the refrigerator!

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/21 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not necessarily an age thing-I am only 60 but I can't remember why I go into rooms or where I've put stuff all the time!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/21 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Auto Pilot! Wife worked in Nashville. At lunch they would mot often take her car.
They would most often arrive at one destination or other, they did not really intend to go. Like a horse, it almost seemed the car decided that was were it was supposed to go!One thing about a well trained horse he heads for home, while you relax in the saddle or buggy...unless..
I have den it too. headed for a destination with business on my mind and ended up at a frequent destination, but not the one intended.

Foggy

Kalamazoo Mi. U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Auto Pilot! Wife worked in Nashville. At lunch they would mot often take her car.
They would most often arrive at one destination or other, they did not really intend to go. Like a horse, it almost seemed the car decided that was were it was supposed to go!One thing about a well trained horse he heads for home, while you relax in the saddle or buggy...unless..
I have den it too. headed for a destination with business on my mind and ended up at a frequent destination, but not the one intended.

When my Father-in-law was young and dating, his horse took the buggy home to the wrong girl's house.

Happy-Trails
Foggy

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL!

* This post was edited 02/11/21 06:28pm by an administrator/moderator *

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know for me I believe that when I worked I was very focused, but since I retired I find my mind jumps from thing to thing and my focus just isn’t there. I also believe that my iPad doesn’t help with focus either.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/21 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Foggy wrote:

down home wrote:

When my Father-in-law was young and dating, his horse took the buggy home to the wrong girl's house.

I "retired" 2 years ago (at the age of 58, long story). I've found that my focus is almost at 0 now. I was an "girl Friday"-office manager, travel coordinator, receptionist-anything administrative and I did it. Could multi-task like nobody else. Now some days getting the bed made is a chore!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Signs of Cognitive Decline
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.