cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Receivers and Trailers

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Ever get confused as to which ball receiver to to which trailer?

I tow multiple trailers (not all as once lol) , two with 2" and two with 2-5/16" couplers. Decided to spray paint the 2" ball receiver with Red and White on the 2-5/16". I also painted the trailer's coupler accordingly to match the sized ball receiver. Now there's no mistaking which receiver is used to which trailer. Just thought I'd share.
16 REPLIES 16

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Sort of agree, they’re a gimmick. Or more precisely, made for the occasional user.
No one who tows with any regularity would use that thing.
The chance of getting enough uplift to shear the pin (double shear) is small, but the ad for it is also misleading as that little pin doesn’t have 21klbs shear strength even in double shear. It’s about half of that.
I agree, it is not a great product.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired JSO wrote:
1 7/8- 2- 2 5/16” Convert A Ball or Adapt a Ball good to 10,000 lbs. I pull a fifth wheel and keep Adapt a Ball on the stinger.

But not all types of trailer; Use that big ball, normal operation, there pressure on the little pin that holds it on. But when a boss tries to load a Bobcat, and the back of the machine nears the top of ramp, the coupler lifting on the ball shears pin, then coupler slams into tailgate, you don't want to let him see you laugh.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a B&W Tow N Stow, tri ball hitch and be prepared for any bumper tow situation.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
1 7/8- 2- 2 5/16” Convert A Ball or Adapt a Ball good to 10,000 lbs. I pull a fifth wheel and keep Adapt a Ball on the stinger.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
That's a good solution!

I also tow multiple trailers. I use a dedicated shank for my TT for the Reese Strait Line system that just stays in the trailer any time I'm not towing. I keep my TT at a storage lot about 5 miles from my home, so that receiver is always inside waiting when I go pick it up.

For every other trailer without WD, I have an adjustable height ball mount and a convert-a-ball for all 2 sizes for ultimate flexibility.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Seon...not a bad idea to mark/paint to be sure, especially if others are using your trailers too. IMO, a 2 5/16 is easy to tell from a 2".

I think some people just think the 1 7/8 ball is close enough, to use with a 2" coupler, until you hit a bump or X tracks. There is always the just put a rag in between guys too!

My trailers are either 2" ball or FW pin, and I can tell the difference. 🙂

Jerry

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Last month I was following a car pulling an enclosed trailer with his Harley inside when suddenly the trailer jacked knifed and bounced around until the driver was able to stop. Fortunately there was no damaged to the Bike or trailer.
As I helped lift the trailer back on the receiver I noticed he had a 1-7/8" ball and the trailer's coupler a 2". That's when I decided to paint ball coupler to trailer.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pull more than 1 trailer, and no 2 use same drop/ball size. I lock the ball in coupler when I store the trailer. This has the added advantage of when I pull the ball out of coupler to put mount in receiver, I'm sure the coupler is open to accept the ball when I hook up. Less chance of closing above the ball.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmm, maybe you and your wife should spray paint your feet so as to not get your shoes mixed up.;)
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Silver sharpies come in real handy for marking dark items.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you need to mark them for whatever reason needed to not confuse them, it’s a great idea.
M
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
Hmmm I had a couple of 2" trailers that needed different drops, a 1 7/8" different drop yet. A 2 5/16", along with a pintle hitch.
I never had any issues.
Did I mention four different rigs might pull any of the trailers. Some needed different drop it rise for that tow rig........

Whatever helps floats your boat. At the same time, not sure it's needed.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen wrote:
Color coding is OK But can you remember what color is what?

I think it's like garanamals. If the trailer tongue and the hitch ball colors match, the size matches.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering how many tow with the wrong size ball. Very common IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad