cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help identify leaking engine part (pic)

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a slow leak underneath my engine. This is on a 2015 Thor Majestic 28a with a Ford e450 Superduty v10.

Here is a picture of the part (circled in yellow) and where it appears to be leaking (circled in red). It is taken from underneath the vehicle.

Can you tell me what part this is? If I trace a hose going into it, it looks like the hose is coming from the power steering fluid reserve tank.

After driving for a couple miles to warm it up, and then parking with the engine off, I see 1 drip about every 30 seconds or minute.

Figured some of you experts out there will be able to tell me what this is, and what the likely repair will need to be.

Thanks!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
17 REPLIES 17

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Hope you got it figured out!
He did.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hope you got it figured out! Sometimes, a color test, using a white paper towel, or tissue, can identify what the leaking fluid is. You can always use the taste test too!!

Jerry

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the up date!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Update....

So I drove the front end of my RV up onto some leveling blocks to give me a couple more inches to crawl around. I was able to discover that the leak wasn't actually coming from the power steering pump (...which makes sense, because I haven't been losing any power steering fluid). I was able to look further up on one of the hoses coming in and I could see that the leak was coming from the upper radiator hose (right at a clamp). I applied a pressure test on the radiator and sure enough, it was leaking right at the hose connection. I was able to get a socket onto the hose clamp screw-head and was able to give it several turns to tighten. I tightened a couple of other hose clamps underneath and ran the pressure test again. Those leaks all stopped! There is a tiny tiny radiator leak I'm still investigating. For now, I feel much better. Thanks all for your suggestions and input.

-Chris
San Jose, CA

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Bear in mind too that the E450 uses hydroboost brakes. The power steering pump also drives the power brake system. I'm pretty sure you don't want to encounter using unboosted brakes on this large and heavy of a vehicle; I know I certainly don't care to.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
GDEtrailer: your photo is of a brake master cylinder
Oldwizard1 show the pump with a non-metallic connector

Yes, I realize the photo I posted IS the Master cylinder..

OP mentioned that the item they posted has a line up to what they called the "brake reservoir".

The reason I posted that photo is to show the OP what the master cylinder AND BRAKE RESERVOIR LOOKS LIKE and the DIFFERENCE between the two is unmistakable..

Basically they have traced the line from the power steering pump up to the remote power steering fluid reservoir.

I wanted the OP to understand clearly what the brake reservoir looks like and where it is located..

Power steering pump is leaking, needs replaced, absolutely under no circumstance put an "fix its in a can" in that system like "bars leak", that stuff can and will damage your steering system beyond repair and you do not want to have to buy a replacement steering gear box..

Only put in recommended hydraulic fluids in your power steering system and make darn sure it does not go empty.. That pump when run dry or with improper fluid will have internal parts grinding together grenadeing your steering gear box in the process.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how small some of the orifices are on late model power steering racks. You may clog more than your leak by adding stop leak
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
GDEtrailer: your photo is of a brake master cylinder
Oldwizard1 show the pump with a non-metallic connector

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not be afraid of using Barrs or l
Lucas Stop leak.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is a Motorcraft STP278 - Amazon $300.

$150 at Rockautoafter $67 core return.

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to say this is probably the part you are after. There are also videos here showing the procedured for removal and replacement. Hope this helps.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8831744&cc=3308776&jsn=12&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1esw9...

EDIT: Fixed URL so it won't break the page.
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
SJ-Chris wrote:
I've got a slow leak underneath my engine. This is on a 2015 Thor Majestic 28a with a Ford e450 Superduty v10.

Here is a picture of the part (circled in yellow) and where it appears to be leaking (circled in red). It is taken from underneath the vehicle.

Can you tell me what part this is? If I trace a hose going into it, it looks like the hose is coming from the brake fluid reserve tank.

After driving for a couple miles to warm it up, and then parking with the engine off, I see 1 drip about every 30 seconds or minute.

Figured some of you experts out there will be able to tell me what this is, and what the likely repair will need to be.

Thanks!
Chris

Can you get an upclose pix of the PN stamped on the side?

That PN should be searchable and give you exactly what it is..

I suspect that IS your power steering pump which would be located down low on the drives side of the engine.

Ford uses a remote reservoir tank for power steering pump, should be a dipstick you can remove from the reservoir which will tell you the fluid PNs recommended for use with that reservoir..

While I not familiar on the exact layout of E450 van based vehicles, the brake reservoir is typically mounted directly on top of the master cylinder and is not typically remote mounted.

This is a pix of the master cylinder that comes up when I search for your yr and model..

I suspect since it is most likely the power steering pump, you will be seeing a new one in your future.. Not sure if that item you circled in red would be available separate from the pump..

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Looks like the pressed in return line connector for the power steering.
I would use some power steering leak stop, before tearing it apart.

I believe now this is the power steering pump.

How safe is power steering leak stop to use? Is there any risk to damaging anything else by using this type of product (will it gunk up anything else???)

If I have to replace the power steering pump, any idea how much that would run me (ballpark)? Just trying to figure out if it is an easy job or hard (time consuming) job for a mechanic.

Thanks!
Chris
San Jose, CA