cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing RV

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5th wheel with a residential refrigerator with ice maker and a dishwasher. Since I live near Houston, TX the weather seldom gets below freezing and I don't winterize other than draining water out of tanks. We are about to have temps as low a 10 degrees next week. I know how to add the pink antifreeze but never have. My question is about the ice maker on the fridge and the dishwasher. I don't have access to the back of the fridge or the dishwasher. Is there anyway to make sure that I have protected the fridge and dishwasher? BTW, I am not a full-timer. The RV is in storage. Thinking about taking it to a campground and plugging it in so I can run the heater. I wouldn't be concerned expect for the fridge and dishwasher.
6 REPLIES 6

GIB2
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't want pink in the ice maker or filtered water. There is a shut off tap on that feed line. I shut that off and disconnect the line from valve and have wife inside to hold water valve open on fridge while I apply low air pressure to the line and removes all water from the fridge. It's a rather unnecessary feature in an RV but comes nowadays on household fridges. We use two water filters for the RV and can make all the ice we need and I don't buy a filter for fridge. Everything else including the dishwasher was already explained

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question, winterizing the dishwasher, refrigerator, and washer is pretty easy. When you put the waterbay knobs in winterize mode, and suck the a/f in, run washer on cold until you see pink, then cancel, and let washer drain, then repeat on hot. Dishwasher, same, start a cycle until you see pink, cancel and drain. Ice maker takes longer, have to let the machine run a few ice cycles until you see pink.

Don't forget to bypass the waterheater, and drain that too.

Personally, I'd bring the rig home, plug it in, run heat at 50 for the couple days.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the same boat. We're just out of Houston. I've only half heartedly winterized before. I think I will just drain the water heater and the tanks. Pour a little RV antifreeze in the drains. I'll stretch a good extension cord to the 5th and turn the furnace on low. Let me see if I can get a link to the Landmark winterizing procedure to post here.
https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User%20Guides/Winterization%20Guide%20V1.2.pdf
There should be a drain for the icemaker under the trailer just under the fridge. My icemaker supply comes from under the sink.
The Bigfoot I'll do the same except maybe no furnace on.
Wish the weather people would make up their minds. Forecasts have swung from 5F to 36F overnight. Looking like low to mid 20's now.
I have camped in both the RV's down to mid teens with no issues. Fingers crossed.
Maybe better link: http://manuals.heartlandowners.org
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thatโ€™s what I do. I keep heat in it all the time, leave the hot water heater on, cabinet doors open, commode lid up, and a small heater in the wet bay. Has worked for years.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If this is an oddity, why not charge up the batteries, and switch on the furnace for a day or two, with the t'stat set at 45 or so?