Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

But wouldn't that regenerative running create a pretty large drag on the tow vehicle? I mean it's part of the braking system isn't it?

I’m sure it would. It would be like driving with your brakes on for half an hour, and of course that would affect the mileage of your Motorhome. There is no free lunch.

It would be convenient though. Arrive with a charged battery etc. We’ll have to wait to see what Rivian comes up with.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

But wouldn't that regenerative running create a pretty large drag on the tow vehicle? I mean it's part of the braking system isn't it?

I have played with this idea for a while. (Play; no MH, no EV, no knowledge)
I'm sure the regen would be a drag. But could it be controlled? Say on with the Jake? The one issue I see would be the Batt at 100% charge, the braking is gone. But then dream a little more. At some level of throttle opening, could the motor engage? Reprogram the cruse control so hold the vehicle in place behind MH on it's power? That would reduce load on MH powerplant. Or even push the MH to the point of tire slip. This would allow a smaller engine to climb hill or accelerate faster.
I think it would be a fun discussion

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Yes, but another inexplicable “no big deal” oversight by those blinded by Elon’s luster.....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

It would be like driving with your brakes on for half an hour,

It would be convenient though. Arrive with a charged battery etc. We’ll have to wait to see what Rivian comes up with.

ROFLMAO!
And this, folks, is the world some problem actually live in....sweet dreams!

I’m not even going to look it up,but regenerative charging provides only a small fraction of typical charging. It can’t do more than that until those Unicorn Farts actually become real!

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

I have played with this idea for a while. (Play; no MH, no EV, no knowledge)
I'm sure the regen would be a drag. But could it be controlled? Say on with the Jake? The one issue I see would be the Batt at 100% charge, the braking is gone. But then dream a little more. At some level of throttle opening, could the motor engage? Reprogram the cruse control so hold the vehicle in place behind MH on it's power? That would reduce load on MH powerplant. Or even push the MH to the point of tire slip. This would allow a smaller engine to climb hill or accelerate faster.
I think it would be a fun discussion

The software on the car would limit the regen braking as it got closer to 100 percent battery. That’s why most EV’ers on a day to day basis tend to only charge to 90 percent so we don’t lose regeneration. We charge to 100 percent before toad trips and of course driving style has to be a little different until you wear off 5 or 10 percent. Not a big deal, but part of the discussion for sure.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The EV would control the regenerative braking based on speed, same as when driving. Would not have a provision to coordinate with the MH brakes. Eventually the battery would fill and the regeneration would be reduced to zero to protect the battery. As said virtually no EV is rated to be pulled four down.

Yes if the EV could be towed four down and coordinate braking with the MH it would be a wonderful system. Could potentially fill the battery from just stopping or controlling speed down a hill.

Elon, are you reading this?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit Dog,

Please read the thread. Regen is dependent on speed and may be quite high.

As to vehicles, my current choice would still be the Kona. It has the range I need. Now if the price would drop.

time2roll apparently Rivian can be towed 4 down.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

wapiticountry wrote:

Centralized charging stations would be a no go from the consumer point of view. From personal experience I can tell you they are not going to want to park their vehicles away from their sites, even for a relatively short period of time.
Actually it is currently working very well at every other venue.
Do people just go crazy at an RV park?
Apparently so. Having owned parks for going on 20 years, not having parking at the site for personal vehicles is a huge issue. I would never, ever reconfigure or build a site where the occupant had to park anywhere but on the site itself. Maybe it is because they usually have a lot of personal items in that car related to vacation travel. Things like expensive cameras, spotting scopes, expensive fishing gear, climbing equipment etc. Or maybe they just don't feel comfortable having their personal car out of sight. But it would be a big customer service negative in my opinion if the charging had to be done at a location away from their RVs.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

time2roll wrote:

wapiticountry wrote:

Centralized charging stations would be a no go from the consumer point of view. From personal experience I can tell you they are not going to want to park their vehicles away from their sites, even for a relatively short period of time.
Actually it is currently working very well at every other venue.
Do people just go crazy at an RV park?
Apparently so. Having owned parks for going on 20 years, not having parking at the site for personal vehicles is a huge issue. I would never, ever reconfigure or build a site where the occupant had to park anywhere but on the site itself. Maybe it is because they usually have a lot of personal items in that car related to vacation travel. Things like expensive cameras, spotting scopes, expensive fishing gear, climbing equipment etc. Or maybe they just don't feel comfortable having their personal car out of sight. But it would be a big customer service negative in my opinion if the charging had to be done at a location away from their RVs.

Good to know. So adding a pay to play J1772 EVSE on a half dozen sites would probably suffice. Get the 24 foot cord version. My guess is customers towing with an EV truck would pay through the nose for the convenience of “fueling up” right on site. Or just add a second 50 amp plug with a padlock and charge a flat rate for access. Maybe 50 bucks a day to use it. Maybe more.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Norway, they use twice the amount of electricity per capital than the US because of the EV charging. Just where would we get this electricity? In Germany they have had to resort back to fossil fuels because all of the solar is covered in ice and snow. Can EV, possibly. Is it the cure all, not likely.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ev charging in camps expectation of availability, cost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.