cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Bumper Mud Guards

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
What type of a set up have you folks used to keep the wet road spray junk from building up on the rear of your rigs. It didn't really bother me before because I'd just give it a quick rinse. This year however I'm going to be carrying a couple of bicycles on a receiver hitch and I'd like to try to keep the road dust and wet film build up down. Has anyone had any luck with those long flaps that hang down from the rear bumper? I understand there is no way to eliminate it all. Just wondering if these "mud guards" are worth while or if anyone has an different method, or is it even worth the bother, you know, part of the experience!!!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
7 REPLIES 7

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
The aerodynamics of vehicles with flat, squared-off backs are such that the air swirls around back there and dust and stuff is all stirred up and some collects on the vehicle. I don't think there's much you can do to eliminate it.

One very good way to eliminate that swirling wind to install Air Tabs That is what they are designed to do, the partial vacuum is reduced. There is less accumulation of road grime.

I put them on my Class C and the bikes and the rear of the RV stays very clean.

They have not really helped in the fuel mileage but the stability in cross winds and the turbulence created by passing trucks has been very good,handling has greatly improved and the cleanliness of the rear of the RV is a real plus.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
A spoiler mounted on the rear roof line would do the trick.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Would putting them up front make a difference? I had a front hitch installed and use it for everything from carrying my bikes to firewood on my hillbilly basket.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
docsouce wrote:
This year however I'm going to be carrying a couple of bicycles on a receiver hitch and I'd like to try to keep the road dust and wet film build up down.

You can buy bike covers that are meant to resolve this exact problem. I haven't used one so have no recommendations, when we travel in the rain, we usually just bring the bikes inside and put them on the otherwise unused cabover bunk.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is pretty much what I thought. Just have to postpone the bike ride for half an hour...Thanks for the replies.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agree with DrewE, not much you can do to stop the swirl. Your best bet, may be a cover of sorts, they make them for bicycles, but hanging on a receiver type carrier may make covering more difficult.

Jerry

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The aerodynamics of vehicles with flat, squared-off backs are such that the air swirls around back there and dust and stuff is all stirred up and some collects on the vehicle. I don't think there's much you can do to eliminate it. The mud flaps (and also the "hula skirts") are more intended to cut down on stones that get kicked up and similar things; I don't think they do much to keep the back of the vehicle cleaner.

I have a hula skirt, and carried a bicycle on a receiver rack to, from, and around Alaska. It got plenty dirty. Indeed, particularly on the Dalton highway, absolutely everything anywhere on the outside of the RV got plenty dirty; all the Nike swoop-like graphics were pretty much invisible upon getting back to Fairbanks. It was well worth the dirt and wear and tear to experience the beauty of the arctic.