cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smell in vent when Heater is running

PursuitAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Smell coming from heater vent in my 29 fe freedom elite. I have looked in the vent as far as I can see. It has not ran in a while could that be the problem.Any help would be great. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Edit: nvm
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

If it smells like butter, I can help you there.... :B
(Some of you will get that one!)
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup op. Gotta say what it smells like....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our old Ford Four Winds always had a crayon smell when running the heat/defrost in the cab. I searched w/o disassembling the cab but never found the cause. Perhaps some child tossed their crayons on the dash, then they rolled down the defrost vents. Or the kids shoved the crayon(s) into the dash vents.. Who knows.

The house furnace always had a distinct smell, but it was more like warm metal - nothing serious, but was that "ah, the comforting smell of cutting the chill!" sensation.

Our Sunseeker's heat/defrost is clean, where the furnace has always had more of a warm paint smell. After 5 years, it still smells that way while it's running, it never changes. Again, nothing serious, though it still imparts that "ah, the comforting smell of cutting the chill!" sensation.

(Speaking of which, I think my wife is making lunch! It's starting to have that flavorful smell wafting through the home office!!!!)
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mice pee? not ran for awhile could just dirt.turn it on let run for hours .

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If itโ€™s a dead creature you would probably smell it all the time. Had โ€œsomethingโ€ die in the wall of our house and it smelled for a very long time. I suspect dust burning off. Weโ€™ve had our mh 5 years now but use the heat pump 90+% of the time we need heat. When the furnace kicks in, I get the furnace smell.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Depends what kind of smell...

If a musty dusty smell, that's normal due to typical dust that settles in there when not in use. It will burn off in short order and clear up.

But if it's something rank and rude smelling, then possibly a dead rodent in there somewhere.

Smells easily originate at the furnace itself. When it gets hot, accumulated road dust and such burns off.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What sort of a smell? If it's a sort of burning dust smell, it's probably just a bit of dust in the furnace that has collected since its last use and is burning off--nothing to worry about unless you have a tremendous amount of dust there (which would seem very difficult to accomplish without trying).

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a new furnace it takes awhile to break in and you will get a burn-off odor. On an older already broken in furnace it could be a dead mouse.