cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide outs in cold weather

PursuitAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Headed up to Sierra this weekend. It's supposed to be in the low upper 20' to low 30's at night. It's supposed to rain only one day.

My question is, is it ok to use slide outs when it's near freezing Temps or should I leave them in?
15 REPLIES 15

joegray
Explorer
Explorer
Bring them in if ice is forecast. Was south of Rapid City one Sept ,cold and windy. Ice rain started so I brought slides in. Glad I did as we had a inch of ice on trailer in the morning.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
rr2254545 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
If you have toppers I would leave them in as twice I have had a great deal of trouble getting slices in with ice and snow on them. At 20 I would leave mine in as the RV will heat much better

I've found the opposite.
- If you have snow and ice on the toppers, it usually just falls off as they roll up.
- If you don't have toppers, it tries to pull the snow and ice inside where it melts and makes a mess.

Guess I was dreaming the two times it happened to me

Nope, I'm sure you had some sort of issue.

But having had both, I know if you don't have toppers, you need to go on the roof and manually remove the snow and ice or it gets pulled into the trailer when you close the slide.

On our rig with slide toppers, it always just fell of as the topper rolled up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I've had slides with and without toppers but have always carried a 6ft step ladder just incase.
Toppers are better in inclement weather. Imo

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
If you use your furnace and you have floor ducts you will need to leave the slides out if the slides cover the vents.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 slides with toppers.
Snow and/or ice = slides in. I am unable to access the toppers. No point tempting damage bringing slides in with snow and/or ice.
Severe cold = slides in. Easier to heat.
I am lucky to have access to 99% of motorhome with slides in.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve never had any slide issue that were temperature related down to well below zero......ice on the slide top could be a concern. Iโ€™ve used ours with some ice on the slide top, but try to avoid if possible! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
If you have toppers I would leave them in as twice I have had a great deal of trouble getting slices in with ice and snow on them. At 20 I would leave mine in as the RV will heat much better

I've found the opposite.
- If you have snow and ice on the toppers, it usually just falls off as they roll up.
- If you don't have toppers, it tries to pull the snow and ice inside where it melts and makes a mess.

Guess I was dreaming the two times it happened to me
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
rr2254545 wrote:

I've found the opposite.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
We've always left ours out and we camp mostly in the winter. We don't have trouble with wind coming in, but once I almost brought them in because the wind bounced the slides so much.

Usually if it rains where we are, then the temps aren't that low.

We've had snow a few times and it wasn't usually a problem if the snow wasn't prolonged.

One time we were camping near Bryce, UT and we got six inches overnight. That was a problem. We spent about an hour getting as much of the snow off as possible, but the thin sheet of snow on the slides turned into a wet mess when we pulled the slides in and traveled. The bedroom slide drained onto my wife's side of the bed and she had to sleep in the rear garage. Not happy.

So out of our hundred+ winter nights, we got wet once. Seems like a pretty good track record. Less than 1% regret.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
It is okay, but if it rains, turns to ice, could be an issue to close. If you plan to leave in morning, before temp warms up, I'd put slides in before freezing temps.
Yup. BTDT. Had to boil water to get the 1/2" sheet of ice off the slide to close. Furnace set to 90 for a few hours did about nothing.

PursuitAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys very much for the reply.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
Slides are not insulated well so thinking you will be using the furnace they should dry out and any snow melted off of them. Their motors, screw drives are all under the unit out of the weather. We never have cared about cold other then we don't want to camp in it but it is a factor in late fall going across the USA.

Typically it is only the floor and roof of a slide that is poorly insulated, the roof is about an 1-1/2โ€ thick, but otherwise no worse than the rest of the trailer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Slides are not insulated well so thinking you will be using the furnace they should dry out and any snow melted off of them. Their motors, screw drives are all under the unit out of the weather. We never have cared about cold other then we don't want to camp in it but it is a factor in late fall going across the USA.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.