Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What Did I Do to Break My Generators???
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What Did I Do to Break My Generators???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One problem remains. It now runs like ****. It’ll only run full choke and has good moments and sputtering moments.

I ran it for about 40 mins now at no load and full choke. It just died after a sputtering, Smokey 40 minute run. It stopped smoking after 5 minutes or so.

I also sanded away any fouling on the plug’s business end after the smoking stopped.

It’s not running well at all. What’s next? New plug, even though it’s not too badly gunked up?

Please tell me I don’t need to do a carb cleaning.

CapnCampn

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe swap in a plug from one of the other gens if they're not to bad?

I wonder if maybe the cylinder is full of burned oil (carbon)?
If so, maybe Seafoam it or pull the head to scrub it clean.

Just some thoughts from a shadetree...

Good Luck!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would not surprise me in the least if you got some oil into the carburetors; in fact, it seems rather inevitable given there was oil in the combustion chamber and then you rotated the engine backwards. The piston would force the oil (or anything there) out the intake valve.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/21 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you topped off the oil since losing some into the cylinder?

Jerry

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

It would not surprise me in the least if you got some oil into the carburetors; in fact, it seems rather inevitable given there was oil in the combustion chamber and then you rotated the engine backwards. The piston would force the oil (or anything there) out the intake valve.
Yep.
Also, replace the plug, you can't clean way up into the inside.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok. I’ll replace the plugs.

Also, I only rotated it about 15-20 degrees backward by hand to check what the issue was.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 02:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Have you topped off the oil since losing some into the cylinder?

Jerry

Yup. First thing I did. It wouldn’t start if it had low oil. It’s got one of those sensors.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

One problem remains. It now runs like ****. It’ll only run full choke and has good moments and sputtering moments.

I ran it for about 40 mins now at no load and full choke. It just died after a sputtering, Smokey 40 minute run. It stopped smoking after 5 minutes or so.

I also sanded away any fouling on the plug’s business end after the smoking stopped.

It’s not running well at all. What’s next? New plug, even though it’s not too badly gunked up?

Please tell me I don’t need to do a carb cleaning.

"sanding" modern plugs kills them.. Sanding cuts into and can remove the hard outer porcelain surface leaving a more porous part of the porcelain which can carbon track and foul out must faster. Additionally, if it was a "factory" plug and you never changed it, CHANGE IT, they are junk to start with.

Doesn't take much to foul out factory plugs as they use pretty low grade plugs..

As for the carb, YES, you most likely need to clean it by physically dismantling and removing the jet and emulsion tube.

When you turned entire gen on end, any and all dirt and water was sloshed around inside the carb bowl.. The Honda designed carbs which are also used on Chinese knockoff engines all are very susceptible to the emulsion tube tiny holes plugging even by the tiniest speck of dirt.. When that happens, engine will run lean and rough unless you close the choke partially or completely..

The best fix is removing the emulsion tube and using pressurized canned carb cleaner blow open the holes, and make sure all are open before reassembling.

If new plug and carb cleaning doesn't fix it, then you may have bent or damaged the valves and or other parts due to "hydro locking" the engine.

In the future, never set any engine on end or side unless it was emptied of all fluids or designed to operate in that position..

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Krusty wrote:

Combustion chamber full of oil now? Pull a sparkplug and see if it will turn

THIS

when you got oil in the breather tubes, you got oil into top of the cylinder,
So near the top of piston Stoke it stops BECAUSE oil won't compress

Remove spark plug, pull start rope very slowly or turn engine by hand, you need to push the oil out of the cylinder, be sure you get it all of it out

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 01:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. What a disaster!!!

How could I have fixed so many small and large engines in my life, even done rebuilds and never run into this problem before??

I had absolutely no idea you had to keep a small engine level at all times even when it’s not running.

4 stroke Outboard engines all tell you how to move them and store them. Lawnmowers? They don’t necessarily stay upright as you put them into a pickup truck. I’ve moved these generators around on end many times. Just never stood them up for 20 minute like that before.

I also didn’t know scratching off deposits on a modern plug could damage them. I can’t understand how I had these huge holes in my knowledge of engines. Especially after I’ve fixed dozens. What the heck?

Guess there’s always something new to learn.

The air filters were full of oil, so the carbs must have also been full of oil.

Thank you for the posts. They have all been really helpful. I am doing a really big, full time project right now and didn’t feel like cleaning out the carbs because it’ll take too long. I’ve cleaned carbs countless times on these small engines and know how long that takes. So I’ll let the Northen Tools service department do that while they put in the new AVR which was all I was doing.

Can’t believe swapping a pair of AVRs between 2 generators resulted in this because of the way I tipped them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> What Did I Do to Break My Generators???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.