Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Towing with F150 Poweboost
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with F150 Poweboost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MaxTow in my era Eco is 36 gallons. My old 97 F150 with the 5.4 only had a 26 gal tank..

I have not looked at or really have any interest in the 'electric' trucks coming out... I'm old and know I will have to do something at some point, but for now... I don't even want a 15 F150 or newer... ha, ha...

No disrespect for the millions of 15+ F150 owners.. I just like old school and compared to my old 97 F150, my 13 is miles above it... I know the new F150 are miles above my 13, but I'll run the 13 into the ground before I feel I need to get something else.. [emoticon]

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powerboost is the only F150 with a 30 gallon gas tank. That’s it’s only gas tank option. Battery space has to come from somewhere.
Depending on the wheelbase & cab, standard tow package could have a 23 or 26 gallon tank with the other engines. HDPP & Max Tow get the 36 gallon tank non hybrid.
Bottom line: 30 gallon ain’t bad.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The technology is amazing. Everything I read is very positive but a 250 mile towing range is a deal breaker.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mention XX mpgs on the flats and xx in the hills.
Those must be your speedo dic numbers.
What kind of average mpgs do you get with pencil/miles/gallons used over say 3-4 tanks? How fast do you tow ??

I never worried with a single tank mpg which is nice to know but a good towing average comes over a few tanks used when towing.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 2018 Explorer Sport with the 3.5L EB and towed a double axle U Haul trailer to Wisconsin year before last. It towed like a dream and held 70-75 easy on the interstate. But with the 18-gallon gas tank, gat stops were every 2 hours, you could almost set your watch by it.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

New F150 Powerboosts are not known for fuel mileage when towing. Many, many reports on this issue.

Every test that I have seen so far seems to have been designed to avoid taking advantage of the regen capability of the hybrid. Accordingly, the test results are roughly what should be expected from a non-hybrid doing the same test.

My experience with my two 3.5L Ecoboost engines is that they do burn more fuel than a diesel but noticeably less than my old 460 or V10. In terms of $/mi the Ecoboost is on par with the diesel at local fuel prices.

* This post was edited 02/15/21 11:33am by Groover *

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

The technology is amazing. Everything I read is very positive but a 250 mile towing range is a deal breaker.

That there is why us RV'ers will be the last to adopt an EV truck.

It'll be a long time before an AFFORDABLE HD EV pickup can tow a 11'+ tall toy hauler (worst aero wise), at 70 mph, for 250+ miles.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Lantley wrote:

That there is why us RV'ers will be the last to adopt an EV truck.

It'll be a long time before an AFFORDABLE HD EV pickup can tow a 11'+ tall toy hauler (worst aero wise), at 70 mph, for 250+ miles.

If you look at the Tesla semi, they have done a lot of aero work to make it slide through the air resistance better. So maybe HD EV pickups will do that also.

Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 335HP and 380 Lb Ft - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome. Retired and enjoying it!

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

If you look at the Tesla semi, they have done a lot of aero work to make it slide through the air resistance better. So maybe HD EV pickups will do that also.

It's not the pickup truck itself, it's the modern trailers we haul these days. The tall rear section of a toy hauler is the worst possible shape for Cd.

With semis, they have the luxury of designing the tractor and trailer together. A Euro Mercedes hit 12+ mpg @ 88,000 lbs GVW, that's better than some pickups at less than half the weight.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Me Again wrote:

It's not the pickup truck itself, it's the modern trailers we haul these days. The tall rear section of a toy hauler is the worst possible shape for Cd.

With semis, they have the luxury of designing the tractor and trailer together. A Euro Mercedes hit 12+ mpg @ 88,000 lbs GVW, that's better than some pickups at less than half the weight.

It would be interesting to put a set of the foldout aero panels you see on the rear of some semi trailers on the back of a tow hauler. I wonder how much that would improve MPG?

I have been down on the companies that gave up rear caps for that reason. Any square corner cause more drag. I went from the 9500 flat back 5th wheel to a 12,400 one with a rear cap and mileage improved.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with F150 Poweboost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.