Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Ready for a new awning...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ready for a new awning...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
cannesdo

Presently in Encinitas, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig is 14 years old. I bought it when it was 6. The awning is so long that it had already bent a bit, still worked...and it's been incredibly strong but it's leaking a bit -- we get a lot or rain here in the PNW and it's started seeping through if I leave it out while it's raining...the seams are also separating a bit up by the door. and I think I'd like a power awning. My rig is pre-wired for that.

Update: I think I've decided to keep my manual setup and replace the fabric. So...any regrets changing from fabric to vinyl? Is it louder when it rains? Does anyone do custom colors? Having a hard time finding solid taupe.

Any info or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks much!

* This post was edited 02/12/21 11:40pm by cannesdo *

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I replace my power awning, it will be with a manual one. Let me explain why:

The power awning is nice for the reasons you state, but it is fixed there. It goes out, it goes in. Period.

There is no provision for tilting it. I wasn't paying attention one rainy day and it filled up with water. I tried to retract it to shed the water. No sale on that one. I stood there in my rear doorway with a broom, trying to push up to dump the water. The nitrogen cylinder let go and down it came, into the open door, flooding the whole back of my TT. 4 letter word. Maybe 2 or 3 of those.
There is no provision to raise or lower it at the front either.
Personal preference, yes it's nice to push a button but I will take the old style manual any day.
Maybe some of the newer ones offer tilt, I don't know. To me, tilt is a mandatory feature.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

cannesdo

Presently in Encinitas, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/21 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

If I replace my power awning, it will be with a manual one.

You know....I was just leaning the same way. I appreciate the input. I may just replace the shade itself and call it a day. The main rod is bent a bit but it rolls and unrolls just fine. I think I'll go with a quality vinyl that I can easily powerwash. The cloth awnings are mildew magnets in this climate. This would make my life a lot easier.

Thanks so much! [emoticon]

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

If I replace my power awning, it will be with a manual one. Let me explain why:

The power awning is nice for the reasons you state, but it is fixed there. It goes out, it goes in. Period.

There is no provision for tilting it. I wasn't paying attention one rainy day and it filled up with water. I tried to retract it to shed the water. No sale on that one. I stood there in my rear doorway with a broom, trying to push up to dump the water. The nitrogen cylinder let go and down it came, into the open door, flooding the whole back of my TT. 4 letter word. Maybe 2 or 3 of those.
There is no provision to raise or lower it at the front either.
Personal preference, yes it's nice to push a button but I will take the old style manual any day.
Maybe some of the newer ones offer tilt, I don't know. To me, tilt is a mandatory feature.

My power awning you can tilt to the side, you just pull down on the arm. One side the spring is weaker so when it rains it automatically tilts and drains.
The motor did die after about 3 years, but a new one was only like $80, and took 15 min to replace.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

My power awning you can tilt to the side, you just pull down on the arm. One side the spring is weaker so when it rains it automatically tilts and drains.
The motor did die after about 3 years, but a new one was only like $80, and took 15 min to replace.

My arms will pull down too, and if the weight of the water overcomes the pressure of the cylinder, it will collapse, draining the awning.
Not a good way to do it, only ok for emergency. And when that thing gives, look out! Better not be standing nearby. You'll be wearing something other than your clothes.
Plus it makes a heckuva noise when it bottoms out, and then goes back up again. Not good for it.
No springs in there, it's the nitrogen cylinders that hold it up. And they are both the same.
That's the way the ones I have experienced work anyways.
The weight of the water seriously stresses the awning fabric too. Bows it down like a hammock...

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cannesdo wrote:

Update: I think I've decided to keep my manual setup and replace the fabric. So...any regrets changing from fabric to vinyl? Is it louder when it rains? Does anyone do custom colors? Having a hard time finding solid taupe.

Any info or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks much!

There are a huge amount of choices there in colors and patterns. I have looked for my own awning, as mine is all stained and disgusting. Can't keep it clean or dry inside the roll.
Lots of suppliers out there.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had our vinyl awning replaced two years ago with acrylic and added the alumaguard to it for extra protection. Acrylic was recommended by our RV tech, for durability in both color and fabric, and the alumaguard keeps it dry and protected. Just as added info, this is our 5th towable, we've had this FW since 2010 when we purchased it brand new, and it came with an electric awning. We love it and will never go back to manual. It has a rain tip feature which works great.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one power awning and one manual awning. The power awning is used a lot more than the manual since all it takes is a button push. We never leave either awning out if it is storming, so< i'd never know if one of them leaked.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One fix for the water problem I saw on a vlog is to install one or two 1/2 inch grommets in the center of the fabric. That drains the water but you will get one or two streams of water coming down.
There are some excellent videos up on replacing the fabric. My current awning is a lot easier to do that on than my old brand was.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power awnings are soooooo much more convenient, faster and easy to put in and out than manual. And the vast majority automatically dump rain water. Smarter investment.
I would never go back to a manual awning!!

2010 Suncruiser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ready for a new awning...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.