Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Not a Great Week for Travel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Not a Great Week for Travel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Between the pandemic and other things......haven’t seen my family in Louisiana since April 2018. Granddaughter is getting married next Saturday. We’ve spent the last 3 days picking a travel route from Wyoming to La. using NOAA long range forecast! Every time we modify our travel route, the most recent I-25 into New Mexico, continuing south to I-10...... that route is getting worse by the hour! It’s still the warmest route, above zero most of the way......but now predicting possible sleet, snow, freezing rain! ?? Can’t get much farther south than I-10 ??! If there were “no one” else on the roads.....not a problem. I betting that will not be the situation! ??

This is beginning to look rather dismal! Sorry ......needed to vent! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That southern storm is expected to be here in the north east Tuesday AM... You may be ok if you leave last minute... How many hour drive total do you have?

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did not ask the northerners to send there lousy weather south to the Texas coast, but we got it and by Monday and Tuesday it will be bad. They are predicting freezes all the way to the RGV with winter precipitation almost to the RGV.

Just northwest of Houston is predicted to be 8 to 12 degF and below freezing for at least 5 nights. A couple of days never getting above freezing.

Like one fellow posted ...

To all my northern friends....Your stinking weather is in front yard and drunk. Come get it NOW.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford Truck Guy. - about 40 hours (1700 miles)when towing the camper.....in good weather. This ain’t such good weather! [emoticon]

TXiceman - the cold is no problem, even with water in the fresh tank.....our camper can handle the cool temps. The ice/freezing rain, with near zero DOT systems in place and inexperienced drivers to contend with is our issue. I don’t want to be involved in a “instant replay” of the Ft. Worth wreck! Again, if it were just us on the roads......chain/cable her up and let’r rip! Now if can have all of those others leave me an open road.....I’d appreciate it!! [emoticon]

It’s starting to look like we’re not going to make granddaughter’s wedding! ?? memtb

* This post was edited 02/13/21 08:56am by memtb *

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The entire state of Texas is now under either a winter storm warning or winter storm watch. Been here all my life and can't remember that ever happening. Will not get above freezing in parts of Texas until at least Friday with lows dipping into single digits and near or below zero in far north Texas. Not a good time to travel here.

At least they are predicting snow this time rather than the more dangerous freezing rain we so often get and that caused the deadly wreck in Ft Worth.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about that memtb, but I guess it won't be the first virtual wedding, after this past year. Maybe get them to put in on Zoom website.

Fishhunter

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s so cold in Texas..they’re worried about fish freezing in Laguna Madre??????

2021Ram 3500 DRW Torklift Tiedowns, Fastguns
ORV 24RLS Titanium
2015 Adventurer 86FB

hornet28

Muskegon Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not ideal but have you considered motelling it instead of hauling the 5er? That way you don't have the trailer to worry about

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the bad weather, added to the pandemic, I'm thinking your Granddaughter would feel better, knowing you are safe at home, rather than out on the road, exposed to dangers, that you can not control.

I'm sure you will get pics and video of the memorable ceremony and festivities that follow.

Jerry

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

Not ideal but have you considered motelling it instead of hauling the 5er? That way you don't have the trailer to worry about

That is a consideration.....but, the next several days will be pretty ugly, even without the trailer! I hate the thought of motels! Plus....with these conditions, they will be full of truck drivers and stranded travelers. Of course....sleeping in the vehicle is a viable, but not desirable, option! [emoticon] memtb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Not a Great Week for Travel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.