cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Seat Repair

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2006 Ford Lariet with the fake leather seats. In one area the seat is wearing (about 6 x 6 area). What I want to know is if any one has had luck with any manufacture of vinyl repair or will eternabond roof tape work? The problem is on the driver side front area left of the seat, so it is not a flat area, but curved.
23 REPLIES 23

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
You could always get new covers,I used the Seat Shop for my vehicle,great fit just like new.

Yep. Did the bottom on the drivers seat on my Excursion. Color and fit were perfect. It looked OE after a few months of use. Worth every penny!

Spend the money and do it right. It will look terrible with tape over it. Would you put duct tape over a crack on your trailer?
Did the vinyl bucket seat in my XL the same way. Pulled the seat out, took it apart, put the new cover on the bottom seat, reinstalled the seat. Took a little over a hour and not a lot of money. Looks like new. On my Excursion I took it to a auto upholstery shop and just had the side bolster leather replaced (where you slide in and out) don't remember the cost.

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
A local upholstery shop did my seats and I'm very pleased with the result.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quite a while ago I asked about truck seat repair. Well, I got a repair kit, and it appears that the kit only covers tears in the fake leather. You can not use it as a surface band-aid. Finally, I got fed up and looked at one of the eternabond products I have and it DID mention that it can be used on vinyl. Well, I tried it on a small portion of the worn truck seat, and it is holding and working splendidly. I do not care of a color match, just to fix the chaffing on the seat so it does not get worse. I will be completing the project. So, for those of you who have this problem and just want a repair not caring about color use the eternabond Foof Seal tape. Before you apply it just round the corners. I have the 4'x60" sealing tape. On the front of the package it lists the many uses.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had both my Lariat front seats completely recovered when they were looking shabby. The new leather has held up very nicely. The now punched seating surfaces are much more comfortable.

Or go with duct tape 😉

camilllit
Explorer
Explorer
The part of the seat that wore out is called the BOLSTER. I just had my 06 Ram leather bucket seat recovered. Total cost was $425 including new OEM leather cover (seat only) and labor. I removed and delivered the seat to the 2 man shop. My 06 dually Cummins Laramie with only 98,000 miles stickered at $51,000........a new one stickers at $84,000!
Investing $425 for a new leather seat cover is a bargain.
BY THE WAY, I asked the owner why Dodge Rams have this area wear out, where you slide in and out. He said that area is called the seat BOLSTER. He said ALL trucks (Ford/Dodge/GMC-Chevy) have this area wear out. I said if it is so common, why don't they reinforce this area.........knowing that it will wear out. He said because it is one more reason to buy a new truck!

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
As the old commercial goes..."You can pay me now or you can pay me later". You'll get the jest.

Bite the bullet and have it done right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHug0AIhVoQ

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Would you put duct tape over a crack on your trailer?

Based on the OP's reply earlier, I don't think you want the answer to that!

If I didn't know any better I would say it sounds like something my grandfather would do to his tractor! LOL
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
I have a 2006 Ford Lariet with the fake leather seats. In one area the seat is wearing (about 6 x 6 area). What I want to know is if any one has had luck with any manufacture of vinyl repair or will eternabond roof tape work? The problem is on the driver side front area left of the seat, so it is not a flat area, but curved.

Weird, my leather seat are real, at least the seating surfaces in the front seats.

There are LOT's of video's on youtube on fixing leather sofa's and the like. Would more than likely work for the trucks seats if you don't want to pay someone.

Leather cut repair

I used this method to repair a leather sofa I cut moving up from the basement. Worked pretty good.

BTW my '06's seats look great. Make sure to use a leather moisturizer. Makes all the difference to keep the leather from drying out and splitting, especially on the drivers side side bolster.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
Would you put duct tape over a crack on your trailer?

Based on the OP's reply earlier, I don't think you want the answer to that!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
You could always get new covers,I used the Seat Shop for my vehicle,great fit just like new.

Yep. Did the bottom on the drivers seat on my Excursion. Color and fit were perfect. It looked OE after a few months of use. Worth every penny!

Spend the money and do it right. It will look terrible with tape over it. Would you put duct tape over a crack on your trailer?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Green_Goblin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a trusted upholstery repair person here in my town. they often do classics, but I have them redoing my 2008 F250 vinyl seats and repairs on my seat adjustments and flooring. They are surprisingly affordable and often do small repairs on single seats like for tears or wear/fading areas for average every day cars/trucks. You should be able to find someone in your town or close by than can do anything you need at an affordable price.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
LIKEBUILD2:
Thanks for your input. I knew about the duct tape or Gorilla glue leaking off the edges, but was not sure about the Eternabond. Thanks for the positive answer. I appreciate it. There is no hole, just wear of the 1st layer, so I can not install a backing.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought an adhesive pleather patch off of Amazon that worked ok. It stuck, but after a year the pleather came lose from the mesh backing, but that backing has held up fine. Doesn’t look great, but it closed up the hole.
My trucks a 2002, that I bought new, so I’m just trying to keep it going with minimal repairs until I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:

Duct tape and Eternabond are both bad ideas. The adhesive on the edges will rub onto your pants as the fabric flexes and make a mess. The link OPNSPACES provided with a replacement fabric kit for $70 is about your cheapest option. You might call around to salvage yards and see if you can get a 'new' seat in good condition but I'd bet that would cost more than the $70 re-cover kit.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!