cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 2118 quad door fridge issue

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a norcold 2118 quad door fridge n after running it for few days off propane with the inside fans in the freezer n fridge running.. The fans inside would stop n I don't hear the propane burning in the back.. Does the inside fans turn off after the fridge reaches a certain temp and turn back on?
2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800
3 REPLIES 3

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Rockinfigs wrote:
So this is what I found in the manual.. I'm assuming the inside fans kick off when it reaches certain temp to defrost the fins and turn back on when done.

"Although the refrigerator is not frost -free, it is made to limit frost on the cooling fins. At regular intervals, the temperature control system
automatically melts most of the frost from the cooling fins. The water from the cooling fins drains into a collection cup that is attached to
the back of the refrigerator. The heat of the cooling system evaporates the water from the collection cup."

This is true for ALL Norcold refers. What Norcold calls a TCS is just a complete shutdown every 48 to 54 hours of the refer cooling system for about 2 hours. This allows any ice on the evap fins to melt and drain off. For this system to function, the refer must be on Continously. Any time you shut the refer OFF before that 48 to 54 hours, it resets that 48 to 54 hour timer. Now, on your specific model, as Biscuit mentioned, there is not much Norcold has published about the internal fans and their control. But, when I look at the wire schematic, the 2 fans are controlled by the main control board and the ground is common(not switched) and the 12 volt Pos. is ON and OFF thru a relay on the control board. NO tstat is shown for the internal circ fans. That usually means that the fans run all the time WHEN the unit is cooling, they shut OFF when temp is reached and if controlled like the external fans, they shut down anytime the refer doors are open and the interior light comes ON. Close the doors and the fans come back ON. Doug

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
So this is what I found in the manual.. I'm assuming the inside fans kick off when it reaches certain temp to defrost the fins and turns back on when done. I hope

"Although the refrigerator is not frost -free, it is made to limit frost on the cooling fins. At regular intervals, the temperature control system
automatically melts most of the frost from the cooling fins. The water from the cooling fins drains into a collection cup that is attached to
the back of the refrigerator. The heat of the cooling system evaporates the water from the collection cup."
2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Very Little specific info is available for the 2118 model

Both internal fans (freezer/food compartment) get DC+ thru K6 relay on circuit board
P4 10 Pin Connector on lower edge of circuit board
Pin #1 RED DC+ to both fans
Pin #2 Black DC_- from both fans
(pins are numbered right to left)

Doesn't show/mention any controls for fans.....ON when Fridge is ON
But they could cycle with 'heat source' and or door open/close

'L' is the 10 pin connector

Check for DC at #1 & #2 when fans run/don't run

Propane/Electric Element are on/off based on thermistor temp feedback to thermostat (depending on Temp Setting)
Thermistor in food compartment---2nd FIN from right measures the FIN temp which is roughly 10*F LOWER then the compartment air temp
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31