Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: New Cell Phone..had to ask?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New Cell Phone..had to ask?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Bite the bullet. Go to the apple store and spend the money. I get a new one about every 5 years. I think this is a I-11. Works real good and about 2 years old.

Since the OP has had an android phone for years, it might be quite a learning curve to get an Apple phone.

I vote for battery replacement. I wish Samsung had not caved in and had kept batteries user replaceable.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently upgraded my old Galaxy S5 to a newer S20 FE 5G - comes with 128 GB of memory, and the 5G works well, if you're in a 5G area, and the tower isn't overwhelmed.

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

navigator2346

Wa and points South

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace the battery. It is not hard to do, just watch a couple of uTubes and you are good.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am just over 4 years into my S7.

I used to have an S4 and an iphone at the same time. Personal and business. I did that so I could compare the 2. The S7 was hands down, better in every way. I gave away the iphone, such a horribly proprietary thing, shelved the S4 and bought the S7. Best move I ever made. I eventually gave away the S4 to a member here in need.

I am only now, 4 years later, having battery issues with the S7. Unfortunate it cannot be easily swapped, but the neither can the iphone. I put a battery in my iphone 4 myself. It was a real chore. Did my homework on putting a battery in my S7 and decided to replace the phone instead. They make battery replacement ridiculously difficult. The S4 was easy, pop the back off with your thumb, pull the battery, done.

Couple weeks ago I ordered a new S21, basic model. 256gb but no card slot like my S7. They have 128 or 256gb. Oh well... Samsung got cheapo like Apple and don't supply a charger. A major beef with me, because the newer phones use USB-C. My S7 charger won't work. Yours won't either.

Backup is super easy on Android. I plugged my phone into my laptop, it showed up in Windows Explorer, drag, drop, copy to backup directory, done. With Apple you have to use their stupid itunes junk. A real pain, and your files are encrypted to Apple format. You can't read them.

As for the 2 for 1 deals, it seems they gave done away with all those. And it seems that gone are the sign up for 2 years deals and get a free phone. I always buy my phones outright so I am in the drivers seat with carriers. No contract, if I find a better deal away I go.
I just dumped Telus at 85 a month for unlimited calling & text, 2.5 gigs data, and went to Koodo, $45 a month, unlimited calling and text, but with 6 gigs data.

Deals are there at various times if you watch. With no contract, you are free to switch.

Phones are so expensive now compared to a few years ago. They used to be willing to give you anything to get your business. Free phones all the way. Not any more.

I checked out their "deals" Pay 300 and something down, sign up for the 2 year program and pay 30 a month extra for your phone. I did the math and the price is to the penny the same as if you buy it outright. Whoopee... such a bargain...

I can't tell you how the S21 is, I'm still waiting for it, and the goofs at BestBuy can't tell me when it's coming. That's another story...

As for the "best" to buy, that a matter of preference. I spent gobs of time researching Android devices. Don't want an iphone so that narrowed it down. My reason for sticking with Samsung S series is because of how good my S7 is. It has been excellent. Wasn't the same after I dropped it and smashed the screen though. That's not the phones fault though.

The S21 is 5G. But it works fine on non 5G networks, backwards compatible. Koodo doesn't have 5G. I really don't care. Can I make calls? Yes. Ok, fine for me.

I suggest you do all your research online. I did. Found the best phone for me and ordered one. Then I found the best deal on a carrier and went for it. I will be paying half of what I was before. Do some math, the phone will pay for itself in the plan savings, and then some.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

ericosmith

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/21 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip the stores. Go to Amazon or B&H Photo, buy a couple of $200 unlocked phones and switch to Ting or some other MVNO. You'll save enough money on carrier charges to pay for the phones.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My phone is my internet connection device. I have one account with Sasktel which is unlimited, but throttles at 30 gigs to 2 megs/sec, and another with Bell which throttles at 10 gigs to 0.52 megs/sec.

I use up the Bell first--and keep on using it. I'm able to stream video when throttled. There are some things that don't "like" that speed.

I've never had an issue with the throttling on the Sasktel, nor do I notice any differences.

I will eventually get a new phone but not just yet. 5 g will come with it I suppose, but that would not be a reason to switch over at this time.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are T-Mobile customers with the 55+ plan and a couple years ago bought the S9 on a buy one get one free deal. The other day I got an e-mail offer for a free upgrade to the S21 5G phone. Sounded too good to be true but it was not. We now have brand new S21's for no additional money and still only $70/month total for 2 phones.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

We are T-Mobile customers with the 55+ plan and a couple years ago bought the S9 on a buy one get one free deal. The other day I got an e-mail offer for a free upgrade to the S21 5G phone. Sounded too good to be true but it was not. We now have brand new S21's for no additional money and still only $70/month total for 2 phones.

That's an excellent deal, better than mine. I had to buy my S21.
But then, there are big differences US vs Canada plans.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Since the OP has had an android phone for years, it might be quite a learning curve to get an Apple phone.

I have had an iPhone for about 4 or 5 years. I struggle with anything except the phone and text apps and the contact list ! [emoticon]

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9QVE4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - until you decide I bought one of these Anker battery portable charger and got another year off our old phones. Now I carry it in our backpacks to charge our phones and cameras.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New Cell Phone..had to ask?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.