cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
I was just passed by a large DP towing a large SUV that in turn was towing a utility trailer with a golf cart in it. Iv been RVing over 50 years and this is a first. Im wondering if this is legal, it was on I40 going east in TN.

Bob
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe
29 REPLIES 29

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
robatthelake wrote:
Although I am one of those who believes that a secondary or auxiliary braking system is important and effective ,I still have a problem finding any legitimate statutes that specifically address the legal requirements for doing so!

There are all kinds of statements published by the various companies selling auxiliary braking units indicating regulations in this jurisdiction or the other but no government issued requirements can be found probably because Towing equipment is not specifically covered under legislation.

If someone can provide such documentation provided by the department of transport I would be interested in reading it!

As stated I use a proportionate braking device which works very well with the air braking system in my Diesel Pusher and my Honda CRV !
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking about, but every state in the US has laws specifically applying to trailers and the requirements for brakes on them (depending on weight). Are you saying that Canada doesn't?

While touting the laws regarding brakes on TRAILERS, it pays to look at each State's legal definition of a "trailer". In many States (including mine), the legal definition of a "trailer" quite obviously does not include towed motor vehicles. However, nearly every state (again, including mine) DOES have a "Braking Performance Law" that usually mirrors the requirements in FVSS; you must be able to stop within a certain distance from a certain speed on a hard, dry, level surface. The called for parameters are almost all the same or very similar. To get an idea of said laws, take a look at MCA (Montana Code Annotated) 61-9-312.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
Although I am one of those who believes that a secondary or auxiliary braking system is important and effective ,I still have a problem finding any legitimate statutes that specifically address the legal requirements for doing so!

There are all kinds of statements published by the various companies selling auxiliary braking units indicating regulations in this jurisdiction or the other but no government issued requirements can be found probably because Towing equipment is not specifically covered under legislation.

If someone can provide such documentation provided by the department of transport I would be interested in reading it!

As stated I use a proportionate braking device which works very well with the air braking system in my Diesel Pusher and my Honda CRV !
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking about, but every state in the US has laws specifically applying to trailers and the requirements for brakes on them (depending on weight). Are you saying that Canada doesn't?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
robatthelake wrote:

I did not spend as much time in school as most, and did not always pay attention when I was there, but I think I guy named Newton wrote some laws that could explain the need for brakes.

And just last week a guy that I used to work with learned that on CMVs if a axle does not have working brakes it does not count as a load carrying axle. (He added a couple of axles with small wheels and E-brakes to his material trailer. Under bridge law they increase payload by more than the weight they carry. But diesel bear found the brakes didn't work, so he is overweight. After trouble shooting, I loaned him my brake controller to get the load delivered then installed the new controller in a weather-proof box.)
As for RVs. Many get panties in a wad at the idea somebody might step over their weight ratings. Well the brakes on a vehicle are designed to stop the GVWR of a vehicle, with a margin for safety. If you hook something behind that does not have brakes, and your GCVW is higher than the TV's GVWR, you are riding in that margin.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
She who must be obeyed is very smart!

mowermech wrote:
DOUBLE towing (truck/trailer/trailer) is legal in Montana and several other Western states. Yes, I could tow the Jeep and the boat behind the motorhome, legally, except that she-who-must-be-obeyed will not allow it.
TRIPLE towing (truck/trailer/trailer/trailer) is legal in Montana on the freeways and within a certain distance of the freeway to allow getting to the yards. It is usually only seen with Commercial trucks (UPS, FEDEX, etc.)
Maximum length is, IIRC, 75 feet whether commercial or non-commercial.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
i was at the flying j in Dillon, SC about 2005 and saw a lady at the pumps. She had a Bounder hauling a mini-pickup like a ford Ranger with a trailer and a small airplane on the trailer. I remember the fold up wings. Sorry, no pictures.
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it is legal in Iowa but the length limit is 60 feet. Not sure what the brake requirements are. Don't get in any place that you have to back up. Have a friend that got in a tight gas station and he had to unhook his boat that was behind his fifth wheel to get out of there, don't know how he got the boat hooked back up.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
All this discussion reminds me of a saying a friend of mine told me years ago - "Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD"

Al

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
Something like this? This guy was across from us at the Grand American World Trapshooting Championships a few years ago. I don't know what state he was from

A much safer way to do that would be to have a double axle trailer, put the golf cart in front sideways with ramps from the side and SUV in back.
Simple electric trailer brakes.
Handling would be way better.
If ever they had to swerve to avoid something with pictured combination it would not be pretty!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, exactly like that! That is a "DOUBLE TOW". I have a trailer exactly like that golf cart trailer, and it does not have brakes. In fact, in order to install brakes, I would have to replace the axle. A flange to install the backing plates isn't there on the existing axle.
I checked the Montana law. 75 feet is the maximum allowed length of any combination of vehicles.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Something like this? This guy was across from us at the Grand American World Trapshooting Championships a few years ago. I don't know what state he was from

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I have Class-A with Doubles-triples endorsements.
Semi's use fifth wheel, trailer, converter dolly to firth wheel to trailer.
The converter dolly connects to pintle hook on back of front trailer with air snubber to prevent slop.
Air brakes on all including dolly with brake away valves.
I would NEVER tow the rig OP describes!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Legal or not, you just can't fix stupid. Listen to the wife....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
And I'll bet he was driving at a nice safe speed too.....
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes