cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front Cap Cover

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new 5th wheel trailer and want to protect the front cap from UV fading. My last FW had to have the cap repainted and decals replaced after only 18 months. I'm a senior and don't want to climb up on the roof and try to put a heavy full cover on and off so I'm hoping someone makes just a cap cover that can be put on and off without climbing up on the roof. Anyone know of such a cover?
9 REPLIES 9

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
CarnationSailor wrote:
A good coat of wax twice a year has kept my front cap looking like new for 6 years so far.

That works too but if you don't have mobility getting up to reach is a challenge.

I do my front cap twice a year. The rest once a year. We usually do at least 10,000 miles a year. That is alot of smashed bugs. The 5er also spends 7 months in indoor storage.

With some luck a front cap bra should work out well, especially if the OP springs for marine grade material & SS snap fasteners.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
There's a company called Bug Banner that make a cap cover.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
The white area of the cap is gelcoat. The large black area is painted, the graphics are decals.
I'm going to visit a couple of trim shops and see if a snap on cover could be made at a reasonable cost.
thanks

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Upholstery shop makes a bra that just snaps on. Probably only require a small step ladder in the bed of the truck to snap on.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good coat of wax twice a year has kept my front cap looking like new for 6 years so far.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Is your cap painted or gel coat? It was gel coat that was fading, many caps are painted now. Mine is from the factory.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
What about having it wrapped with a clear wrap like they put on cars for stone chips?
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A shop that makes covers of various descriptions for boats might be able to help.

Plastic tarps are cheap but useless. You will spend more replacing tarps than a good quality marine grade material in no time.

The question is, how to do it? Some sort of snap on bib might be the answer. Done right this could stay on during travel if you wish. The hard part is reaching the snaps on top.

If you consider this route DO NOT let it be made super nice & tight. Impressive when first made for neatness & all but over time things shrink & next thing you know it is a real struggle to get things fastened.

I have dealt with more than a few marine applications in my day.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pole Barn
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch