cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's a good MSRP discount in today's market?

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
With the hot market for trailers and other RV's, what kind of discount can be expected now? 35%, 30%. 25%.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
15 REPLIES 15

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Signed the contract for this trailer yesterday. Scheduled to pick it up Monday. I'm satisfied with the price I got, so I'm good at this point. Ended up, I liked this floor plan too much, and couldn't wait 4 to 6 months to get an ordered one.

poppa wrote:
Atlee wrote:
First, thanks to all the replies.

Now slightly related question. The floor plan I want is a 24.5' long Coachman Freedom Express 20SE. It's the exact floor plan as the now discontinued Ultra Lite 204RD. Coachmen and stripped some stuff, and will present it at a lower price point.

Thing is, it's not to be shipped for several more months. This dealer said he had one because Coachmen built a "prototype" ahead of schedule for use at a regional Super Show.

At least that was the story told to me. In any case, it's the only one I can find anywhere. From the "original" price I can get it for 24% under that price, OTD, excluding state tax.
otd excluding tax is not "out the door" in texas.
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Director_Marc
Explorer
Explorer
I put a deposit on Coachmen Apex 265RBSS on 1/23. Expected delivery is end of April. I got 27-28% off. I tried to push it a little more but I was happy with the deal

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

Now slightly related question. The floor plan I want is a 24.5' long Coachman Freedom Express 20SE. It's the exact floor plan as the now discontinued Ultra Lite 204RD. Coachmen and stripped some stuff, and will present it at a lower price point.

Thing is, it's not to be shipped for several more months. This dealer said he had one because Coachmen built a "prototype" ahead of schedule for use at a regional Super Show.

At least that was the story told to me. In any case, it's the only one I can find anywhere. From the "original" price I can get it for 24% under that price, OTD, excluding state tax.
otd excluding tax is not "out the door" in texas.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

If I am not mistaken, that Travel Trailer should have a list price around $30,000 plus or minus a few thousand. Even if you were to achieve the maximum discount most of the keyboard negotiation warriors post they have received (35%) you would save another $1500 to $2000. Is the wait, plus the possibility that rig you want could end up being priced higher than the one the dealer has in stock (after all the dealers are not the only ones who want to take advantage of the hot market, manufacturers are likely to push up pricing.) worth that to you?
Are you perhaps putting too much emphasis on the "discount"? Would you be happy if you got a 40% discount instead of the 24% discount if the rig had an MSRP of $40,000 instead of $30,000 even though you would be paying $24,000 instead of $22,800?
Remember, the MSRP is based on nothing but the whim of the manufacturer. There is no law or guideline that regulates what the MSRP is or what amount of markup there is between the dealer's cost and that MSRP. Competitive pressures are what drives those decisions.
If you like the rig and are happy with the actual cash dollars you have to spend to buy it I wouldn't care at all about the "discount" percentage. I would buy it and start enjoying it, because that is worth way more and a thousand or so dollars of discount I may never ever actually receive.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems really reasonable in the current climate and if you really like the unit I'd jump on it since a replacement unit might be months away or never actually be built (things are in a major state of flux and manufacturers are literally making changes on a week by week basis based on parts availability).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer

Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
With the hot market for trailers and other RV's, what kind of discount can be expected now? 35%, 30%. 25%.

It can also depend upon the popularity of a particular floor plan. Bunk units are really really hot. The ones that move fast will be marked up over the ones not moving...so to speak. Bear that in mind.

I got mine for like 29% off but what does that mean when there is a $4800.00 "upgrade" package that is on there but then taken off...from the factory? So, how do you calculate from that. IF, you take that off and go with the "factory discounted" price, then I got like 22% off AND that was a very good deal. I have an Aspen Trail 2340. Our unit flies off the lots now days being sold before they even hit the dealer lots in many cases after people peruse one that has come in just before it goes out. I'm noticing the longer rear kitchen units not moving at all... In fact at both lots I'm checking, longer, seemingly what would be more expensive units that are not bunk bed units are as much as a couple of thousand less than mine...

The price on these has jumped dramatically over the last two years from like 21K to as much as 38 to 42K on RVInsider (not discounted pricing). It looks like MSRP has jumped from around 28K to 31 plus K. They have recognized the popularity and so have "improved" them with power jacks, power lift in front, 30 gallon propane tanks and a few interior changes like a 7 ft fridge from a six and stainless sink, fantastic fan etc. It isn't 4K worth of upgrades though. And it has a nice 2K capacity...

We got ours for 23.5K and ALL the others within two hundred miles are going to 26K so I guess I can't complain...unless it has problems...

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
wapiticountry wrote:
Whatever you see on the internet regarding discounts are to be taken with a whole lot of grains of salt. I would fully expect if someone posted they negotiated a 90% discount on a new Prevost someone would quickly post that they negotiated to get theirs for free.

Why would this subject be any different than any subject?
Do folks not get 30% + off sticker price? Or did you just get hosed for full price and a little defensive of it?
I've bought many vehicles over the year and have gotten big discounts on some and paid way over sticker for others. I was always more concerned with getting what I wanted than squeezing out the last dime of discount. I sure wouldn't walk away from an RV I wanted because the dealer would only take 20% off their asking price and some random stranger had posted on the internet you should either get a 30% discount or walk.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wapiticountry wrote:
Whatever you see on the internet regarding discounts are to be taken with a whole lot of grains of salt. I would fully expect if someone posted they negotiated a 90% discount on a new Prevost someone would quickly post that they negotiated to get theirs for free.

Why would this subject be any different than any subject?
Do folks not get 30% + off sticker price? Or did you just get hosed for full price and a little defensive of it?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer

murphsfromaz
Explorer
Explorer
We looked all over our state and border states for our the RV we wanted. MSRP was $54*** with an average of $40k for dealer "bottom line". We found a place in the midwest for $34k plus $2k for delivery. should be here Friday.
US Army retired (1991-2011)
2021 Cruiser Stryker 2313
2021 GMC Yukon XL Denali

AE5TE
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on where you are shopping. I lived in Oregon forever and it used to be a great place to buy, but recent events there have caused great demand for anything which can serve as affordable housing and supplies are stressed. People I know are reporting new RVs are going for MSRP or higher.

That said, I recently purchased in Lubbock Texas and demand is a little softer in this area. A month ago I bought a new Heartland Sundance for 30% off MSRP in a cash deal.

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
if they say no to your offer, just remember....your money is good anywhere
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got 36% off but mine was a 2019 when the 2021 models were already shipping so a huge YMMV. Others I was looking at were around 20% and dealerships said no way to additional discounts.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH