cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with a Dish Tailgater

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
I have Dish in my home and also have a tailgater that I use when camping, planning on going to South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming this summer do I have to change any settings on receiver or switch to pickup different satellites. I'm from central Pa and on eastern arc 110,119, 129
10 REPLIES 10

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Hopper works GREAT with mobile antennas. They don't work with the dome style but they work just like they do at home with a Winegard Trav'ler roof mounted antenna or a home style antenna mounted on a tripod. The tripod might take 10-20 minutes to setup and point but that's worthwhile to many folks due to the extreme savings and ability to move out from under the trees.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
You don't change anything on the dish itself. You can call dish to have your SERVICE address changed to where you are to get local channels. A large part of that area uses Denver. Please note that if you do this the same locals will be on in your home as well.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Wyldfire wrote:
steveh27 wrote:
I have used my tailgater in WY and SD without a problem. I take my home receiver a 211k which works with a tailgater. Not all receivers do. Dish keeps wanting me to 'upgrade' to a Wally that does not work with one.

Don't know why you believe that since the Wally is made specifically for mobile dishes. It is smaller, lighter, and faster than the 211k. It is the Hopper that doesn't work with mobile dishes.

I was typing from memory which obviously is not good. Thanks for the correction. It is the hopper then they keep offering me.

Wyldfire
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
I have used my tailgater in WY and SD without a problem. I take my home receiver a 211k which works with a tailgater. Not all receivers do. Dish keeps wanting me to 'upgrade' to a Wally that does not work with one.

Don't know why you believe that since the Wally is made specifically for mobile dishes. It is smaller, lighter, and faster than the 211k. It is the Hopper that doesn't work with mobile dishes.

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
sorry double post

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've had ours for 7 years. When you plug it in it will show what state it was last setup on. You can then change it to the state your in. The tailgater will do a self check then search for the satellite and aquire your signal.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Gary O wrote:
I have Dish in my home and also have a tailgater that I use when camping, planning on going to South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming this summer do I have to change any settings on receiver or switch to pickup different satellites. I'm from central Pa and on eastern arc 110,119, 129

It's been a while, but I think there is a place to put a zip code to help the tailgater know where it is. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah h ..110 119 and 129 is the western arc. If your tailgater is one of the new ones that receive both it will give you a choice when itโ€™s turned on at least my pathfinder 2 did. If it doesnโ€™t do that itโ€™s a western only dish and it still works in pa as long as you can see the satellite 110 119129 are just lower in the sky itโ€™s just your eastern locals might be in SD. Not HD.
Bill