Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: surge protector and water filters
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> surge protector and water filters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulatiions on the new rig. May I just say that after nearly 40 years of RVing, including full timing, I have never used or needed a water filter, surge protector, special TP or TP chemicals. A water pressure regulator for sure and a black tank internal flusher. But none of that other stuff.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take a 5 gallon water tote for drinking water, coffee and ice. so don't worry about a filter. Once we finish at the dump station whatever is left in the water tote gets poured down the toilet to slosh around on the trip home.

Had a surge protector that died right after the warranty expired. Need to get a good one but currently test power at post before plugging in.

Ridgeway, SC

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum. In over 10 years of camping in various MH's and FW's I have never used a surge protector and never had an issue.

As far as filters, the question is, what do you want to filter? Like everything cost is relative to performance. A sediment filter will reduce exactly that, sediment. It won't take out Chlorine, Chloramine, Fluoride, bacteria etc etc. Are you going to be drinking water from the faucet? You need progressively smaller filters for that - all the way down to an RO system. We sometimes take very ling trips, so I installed an under sink RO (it's actually in a bin). If you are just doing weekend trips, get bottled water and a sediment filter to keep debris from clogging up your in line filters and faucets.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

murphsfromaz

Prescott

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a Berkey water system. Light weight and one of the best systems out there for travel.

US Army retired (1991-2011)
2021 Cruiser Stryker 2313
2021 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

Congratulatiions on the new rig. May I just say that after nearly 40 years of RVing, including full timing, I have never used or needed a water filter, surge protector, special TP or TP chemicals. A water pressure regulator for sure and a black tank internal flusher. But none of that other stuff.

Or a fire extinguisher or liability insurance, for that matter.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say go with the Progressive unit. Not cheap but definitely worth. Had ours on 3 or 4 trips & it would give error codes. Called the company. They asked for pics and the error code number. Then they told me to cut off the plug & trash the entire unit, a replacement was on the way. Got the replacement the next week. Gott love a company that stands behind their product.
Water filter: We use the Camco inline blue filter for every tank fill. Get a new filter every year and haven't a problem.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used the larger blue Camco filter in line with the hose along with a pressure regulator and a y hose adapter for purging the air out of the hose and to flush the hose with fresh water. I bought a good surge suppressor but only used it about 4 times before I bought the better autoformer power conditioner to deal with sagging voltage. I have a practically brand new surge suppressor that I'll sell if anyone is interested.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest a Progressive Industries EMS for electrical protection. Initially I had a portable one, then went with a hard wired unit . Keeps it out of the weather and away from prying eyes. With an EMS you get surge protection and protection against open ground, mis-wired pedestals and very importantly under voltage. Many times ours has detected under voltage while at older CG's during hot weather when people were running AC's. Low voltage will quickly ruin your AC unit(s). I later added a Hughes autoformer to boost the low voltage, but initially you should at least get an EMS.
Regarding water filters, I use a Camco on the hose at hose bib end. We have a whole house filter inside the rig... I also have a water softener... the later is a recent add in the past couple years.
Good luckwith teh new rig--- enjoy !

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water filtering is a personal choice. We do on the theory that it can't hurt. but only once or twice in 12 years have we run into really bad water. Death Valley, anyone? We carry 5 or 6 gallon jugs of good, city, water to use for cooking and drinking if necessary and refill them whenever we are at a big-city source. Anything that meets EPA public water source guidelines is as good as you will get through a filter short of RO. A pressure regulator is required. Watts makes good ones that are adjustable.

I feel that an EMS from Progressive is a necessary investment. Mine has kicked out due to low voltage several times (particularly in Canada) and once when the guy next to me backed over my pedestal and ripped the ground side loose.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a water filter built in to our trailer. Every year when I winterize I remove the element so it can dry. After 13 years and hundreds of nights it appears the filter has not removed anything!

We have the Progressive Dynamics EMS unit and it has activated a number of times. I'm assuming it might have paid for itself.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> surge protector and water filters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.