cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Follow-up to my frozen refrigerator....

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks...13 years ago my fridge froze during an arctic blast while I was wintering in Montana. I had heard that if you turn it upside down to remix the chemicals it would fire up again. I posted my play-by-play here and had one heckler who said it would never work. I dragged it out by myself (all 120 lbs of me), tilted it up...and it restarted. And now, 13 years later it's still working. Never had another problem with it.

Viva la tilt!
13 REPLIES 13

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
CharlesinGA wrote:
So how cold does it have to get to for it to freeze and needing this done? Never read of this before. Inquiring minds want to know.

Charles
Well Charles, chances are you will never have to worry about it. Not sure how cold it gets in Atlanta, but nothing like in the frozen north!!

When I had the issues with mine, I was FT in my 3 season TT.

Temperatures dropped into the minus 30's C for an extended time. I was blowing through a 30 pounder every 2-3 days just trying to stay warm. When the temperatures got into the minus 30s, propane flow slows down and I had to put a heating pad in there with my bottles. Before I did that my furnace ceased to function. No gas, no heat. Then the fridge quit at about minus 33 or so. I bought a 110V bar fridge to use until spring.

When I was running constantly between minus 25 to -30, it wasn't a problem. Get over -30 C and things start to slow down. After I took my fridge for an end over end walk and revived it, I put a 100W light bulb in the back of it to warm it a bit. It worked. Got that idea from Don in Regina. (Pianotuna) Thanks Don.

Now ask me about frozen pipes.... That's another story.

Well I have a heated shop that the trailer would normally belong in, but I got this other one I need to get motivated on and finish replacing rotted wood and get it together and sold, It is a decent trailer otherwise, and I replaced the roof, but it is in the shop as it is opened up, and cannot go outside. The GOOD trailer is sitting under a cover outside (isn't that how it always works?).

The coldest I have ever seen here where I am now (since '94) is zero. Of course that was the day my heat pump's outside fan motor decided to take a trip south. I had to replace the blower motor outside with a torpedo heater blowing on me. The heat pump was actually producing at that temp as the house temp was being maintained (with the assistance of the back up elements) but with only the back up elements the house was slowly cooling off.

Yes, blocking off vents and installing a 100 watt light bulb (I have a couple of packs of them stashed away) would probably do the trick.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Norcold 2door that has been thru 3 New Hampshire winters. During the winters I ran it on electric. Just before the first freeze I would pull the cover and using aluminum tape I would tape all vent holes. I'd leave about 2 inches open for air. Never a problem up to 10 below. Lower than that? Not sure.
My hot water heater;
I'd pull the baffle at the top of the draft tube and still rags in the tube. Pull igniter lead from control board and stuff insulation between water heater and outer cover. Ran it on electric.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
So how cold does it have to get to for it to freeze and needing this done? Never read of this before. Inquiring minds want to know.

Charles

Yeah, this happened the first year in my rig. I wintered in MT to test the 4 seasons claim. lol...And dang...did I ever get a lesson in cold weather living -- and my electrical system. It took a few storms to freeze but at some point during an extended cold snap (about zero) I've since learned what another poster mentioned, to keep a light bulb on in the compartment but I had no clue then.

It was interesting that every fridge in the park froze *except* the guy whose furnace was right under this refrigerator. Something to think about if you're buying an RV.

I was determined and slid it out on to a crate filled with magazines by myself (they look so much bigger when you have to move them). From there I slid it down onto a few towels. The funny part was when I was trying to get it back in and enlisted the help of a neighbor who delivered FedEx Freight for a living. He got under one side and I got under the other and we lifted.....Got it one inch off the floor and dropped it back and down and he stands up and says, "How the *hell* did you get that thing out of there???!" We really struggled to get it back in but I guess I had the help of gravity on the removal.

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:

Charles

It also happens when it simply sits too long. When I bought a used 1980 Minni Winnie, the fridge wouldn't cool even though the eclectic and propane functions were heating properly. I read about that fix here on this forum and gave it a try. It worked great for about 30 minutes and then I noticed a very strong odor of ammonia. Yep, once I got it circulating again I found the weak areas of the tubing! All of this in Florida where even record cold snaps aren't cold enough to freeze much of anything but water.
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS

CharlesinGA wrote:

Charles
Well Charles, chances are you will never have to worry about it. Not sure how cold it gets in Atlanta, but nothing like in the frozen north!!

When I had the issues with mine, I was FT in my 3 season TT.

Temperatures dropped into the minus 30's C for an extended time. I was blowing through a 30 pounder every 2-3 days just trying to stay warm. When the temperatures got into the minus 30s, propane flow slows down and I had to put a heating pad in there with my bottles. Before I did that my furnace ceased to function. No gas, no heat. Then the fridge quit at about minus 33 or so. I bought a 110V bar fridge to use until spring.

When I was running constantly between minus 25 to -30, it wasn't a problem. Get over -30 C and things start to slow down. After I took my fridge for an end over end walk and revived it, I put a 100W light bulb in the back of it to warm it a bit. It worked. Got that idea from Don in Regina. (Pianotuna) Thanks Don.

Now ask me about frozen pipes.... That's another story.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

RobWNY wrote:
Someone help me out. I can't remember what CRS means. I'm also too broke to Pay Attention.

Can't Remember Sh..... uh, stuff..
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Chronic RhinoSinusitis ๐Ÿ˜„
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Someone help me out. I can't remember what CRS means. I'm also too broke to Pay Attention.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the day when absorption refrigerators were common in homes, that was a standard fix when they got out of kilter.

Yes it does work for some of us.

I too did the same thing as you and got my fridge back. It worked ever since. Always a naysayer out there who would rather not try some oddball fix.

It doesnt always work but why not try it? It's free!

Jerry, I have CRS, but at least I remember my fridge fix! :B

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
That is great, that your fridge still works! It is nice to get an update of a problem solved. Sorry to say, that waiting 13 years, to give an update, may be too late for the thread responders. The ones still alive, likely stricken with CRS.

Still, good to know that a revived fridge is still going.

Jerry

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When it's not working and you're out of options, you had nothing to lose.
It solved your problem!
Thanks for the update.