Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Be Thankful Your Ford V10 Is The 2-Valve Version
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Be Thankful Your Ford V10 Is The 2-Valve Version

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The early 2V seemed to have a period where they were blowing out spark plugs. Not exactly immune to troubles.
Book may call for 5k oil changes but I am doing fine with 10k changes. Based on miles only and now with less use could be a few years between changes. Not an issue IMO.
I would assume all these motors have the exact same oil pump. Oil pumped volume is not an issue.

I had my oil sent to a lab when my Duramax had 30K miles on it. After 15 years it has 95K. They analyzed it and recommended oil change every 6500 miles based on my engine up to that point.

An oil analysis eliminates any guessing and for 30 bucks it's valuable information. As I have repeated many times, regular maintenance using quality products is the best extended

warranty you can buy.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run synthetic and you avoid oil sludge issues. The timing chain tensioners in the 2-valve Tritons need good oil too! Or as mentioned, change it regularly. I don't have time for that though. 12k oil changes with full synthetic serve me well. I don't do much in-town driving however.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Geeze

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

The early 2V seemed to have a period where they were blowing out spark plugs. Not exactly immune to troubles.
Book may call for 5k oil changes but I am doing fine with 10k changes. Based on miles only and now with less use could be a few years between changes. Not an issue IMO.
I would assume all these motors have the exact same oil pump. Oil pumped volume is not an issue.

The 5.4 also had an issue with sludge build up in a oil passage running from the block to the right head. When it plugs you lose oiling of the valves on that bank. From what I've read they recommend frequent oil changes to prevent this from happening.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Be Thankful Your Ford V10 Is The 2-Valve Version
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.