cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charge Solenoid Location on 2021 E-450

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased our most recent Class C, an Entegra Odyssey 24B. Got it home and realized that we had a single Group 24 battery in the stair well. However, a second Group 24 will not fit in the tray due to all of the other electrical hardware in the well.
I usually run with at least two Group 27 deep cycle batteries in the tray, but thatโ€™s not possible without major structural changes. We donโ€™t boondock a lot, but may go out for three or four nights a couple of times a year, so we need some reserve capacity.

I found a large area inside the coach that will allow me to install at least 2 and possibly up to 4 or 5 100- AH lithium batteries. Our converter is Li ready so I donโ€™t have to change that out. I also donโ€™t intend to install an inverter at this time to run AC appliances, just need the DC power for the furnace, frig, pump, interior lights, etc. Spoke to sales/tech person at Li battery dealer they said that in addition to the batteries, I need a battery isolation manager to replace my charge solenoid from the alternator.

I cannot locate the charge solenoid. I found the Battery Disconnect Solenoid, the Auxiliary Start Solenoid and a solenoid on the generator. Itโ€™s on a Ford E450 Chassis. I looked under the coolant reservoir and main chassis control center relay block. I canโ€™t see under the chassis battery, but I stuck my arm down there and took some photos and didnโ€™t see anything. I am looking at the wiring schematics from Jayco and donโ€™t see anything that refers to a charge solenoid. Some people I have ask have said that itโ€™s installed by Ford, others say that it is installed by the coach manufacturer and others say that itโ€™s the auxiliary start solenoid that is used for both charge and start. Any suggestions where to look?
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8
6 REPLIES 6

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
Charge solenoid was the Aux Start Solenoid. Swapped everything out with the BIM and it works fine now.
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE called it. Aux start solenoid and charge solenoid are the same thing.

Sounds like a battery isolation manager replaces at least the charge solenoid but also the BIRD if equipped.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
See if there is s metal cover thats screwed in place on the left side somewhere near the entrance step battery, if not behind the left riser. Thatโ€™s a common solenoid and BIM location bc itโ€™s a short run to the battery and itโ€™s a dry location.

SV_K
Explorer
Explorer
They are 1/2 the cost of Li.

That is a false statement. Pre-packaged are available at the same cost. String your own cells together, add a BMS and the price can be less. Lots of options.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Often the auxiliary start solenoid is also the charge solenoid, activated when the engine is running (as well as when the emergency start button is pressed).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The simple way would be to pull the charging fuse for the "house" batteries. My fuse box for that purpose is on the driver's side about 18 inches back from the grill "on top" of a lot of other stuff. n my case it was a 60 amp blade fuse.

The better way may be a dc to DC charger which would limit the demand.

In my 2005, the solenoid is under the starter battery and behind the passenger side head lights. Yours may be different.

I suggest looking at SiO2 batteries which have most of the features of Li, but can be used and charged at -40. They won't need the alternator charging path to be messed with. They are 1/2 the cost of Li.

If you don't boondock much, one SiO2 may yield about the same usable amp-hours as two group 27 batteries. If the SiO2 is taken to stone bone dead, it can survive that over 600 times, and still have 80% of OEM capacity.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.