Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: wind power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there have been countless threads on eliminating ICEs and coal/oil/gas/etc. with arguments for and against. Just saw on tV a problem I had not considered before. In Texas the ice storms have put a bunch of windmills out of operation. thank goodness they have oil/natural gas/etc. as a backup.
bumpy

* This post was edited 02/16/21 02:01pm by Bumpyroad *

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wind power electrical outages in Texas are minimal. See post on other thread for link.

Outages from coal and natural gas powered electrical generating plants in Texas are significant. The major problem.

Texas does not require plants to be winterized. Many have to be shut down because they cannot run in temps lower than anything since 1989.

Also, natural gas is being diverted to heating, rather than power generation.

Texas also does not have the ability to cross connect to other states and 'borrow' or buy excess power.

The most energy independent state (as the governor claims) is the worst prepared for a major emergency.

Texas Power Outages

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sweden Shows Texas How to Keep Turbines Spinning in Icy Weather

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a software company in Texas I just installed the latest version of their product on this computer.

They took to social media to say they only have power 15 minutes (or less) each hour so customer support will be slow.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Wind power electrical outages in Texas are minimal. See post on other thread for link.

Outages from coal and natural gas powered electrical generating plants in Texas are significant. The major problem.

Texas does not require plants to be winterized. Many have to be shut down because they cannot run in temps lower than anything since 1989.

Also, natural gas is being diverted to heating, rather than power generation.

Texas also does not have the ability to cross connect to other states and 'borrow' or buy excess power.

The most energy independent state (as the governor claims) is the worst prepared for a major emergency.

Texas Power Outages

"The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) operates the electric grid for 75 percent of the state.

The Panhandle, South Plains and a corner of Northeast Texas are under the Southwest Power Pool (SPP).

El Paso and the far western corner of the Trans Pecos are under the Western Electric Coordinating Council (WECC).

The southeast corner of Texas is under the Southeastern Electric Reliability Corporation (SERC)."

Texas Almanac

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hateI40 through Texas any more.Nothing but tens of thousands of Turbines.About 1/2-1/3 spinning at onetime.You could not pay me to live within eye sight of them. They are irritating unnatural intrusion,and with car window ,where they are close and not so close to the road the peculiar sound combined with the spinning turbines work on your nerves.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to Governor Abbot of Texas

Quote:

Abbott said this membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation and independent system operator is in charge of the transmission of power across the entire state of Texas.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/........287-dbd12f07-5c8e-49b2-9a77-681ee0f705fc

While I don't doubt the regional agencies have major responsibility - it is supposed to be a statewide system.

Also, more investigation indicates a big part of the problem for the Houston area is that one of the two reactors at Matagorda Bay is the one which dropped off line, taking out a lot of SE Texas genetration capacity.

The article above also reports natural gas frozen in wellheads, pipelines and storage facilities, unable to be distributed.

Hammerhead

North of Normal

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even without the challenges with the winter weather, I’ve wondered how much capacity our electrical grid has to support more electric vehicles.

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wind turbines and solar farms aside from being pure ugly have their own environmental issues.
I just finished a book written by a big time environmentalist by the name of Michael Shellenberger, the book is titled “Apocalypse Never”.
He puts a new light on a lot of environmental subjects and explains why “Environmental Alarmists” are actually harming the environment.
There is a lot in the book that had not previously occurred to me and makes sense.

"Oath Keeper"
Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember quite a few years ago when they installed one in a little town south of Boston and all the surrounding houses had a suit going against it because it fouled up their Tv reception.
I don't know how the suit ever turned out, but now with cable, I doubt if there would be any problem like that.

For what it is worth; Every time I see a group of them all I can think is "sky pollution".
I think solar cells is the way to go.

Guy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.