Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: wind power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dam at Niagra Falls uses a nearby lake as a pumped storage "battery" during the low demand times the lake rises and during high need times they drain the lake through the generator turbines. Been that way for longer than I've been.

If you use fossil fuel plants to keep the lines hot (Voltage up) and meet the needs at night and solar during the day you've cut pollution 50% at the least.

Likewise wind backed with Fossil you cut pollution so they are good thigns.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is exactly today's biggest hurdle for wind/solar reliance. Battery technology is far from ready to cover needs during days when the wind is calm or the sun is blocked.

Dutch_12078 wrote:

A common thread regarding wind and solar power generation is about the lack of bulk storage for the periods those technologies are not generating power. Battery technology is improving, but still has a long way to go for the bulk capacities needed for fossil fuel power plant replacement. But there is an old tried and true power storage technology that's been around for years and is now seeing renewed interest. Take a look at these articles on pumped storage:

Pumped storage gets a boost (or two) in the US

And this one from Duke Energy:

Pumped-Storage Hydro Plants

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The issue here in my opinion, is that most people focus on one source of power and don’t look at the importance of the big picture. EVERY energy source has its faults. We all know about oil but we should not or could not for that matter, eliminate it entirely. Same as wind. They should all work together with the goal of a dependable system that we can clean up over time.

Proof of my premise arises when a discussion of the EV is posted. GM, Volvo among others are shooting to drastically reduce dependence on the ICE. Increasing electric vehicles will help us in many obvious ways. People think that they are going to do away with ALL of our cars and trucks. The demand is still here as is our demand for “other” sources of power. So relax, no one is going to come for your Silverado nor are they going to shut down the oil generating plants. Right now we need them.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I see it there is almost a absence of reliable information, every popular source has an agenda that it promotes with complete disregard for the big picture.
There are too many information sources that lead the uninformed to believe a panacea can be achieved overnight.
Wind is great in its place, Solar is great in its place but neither is a total answer.
If brownouts and blackouts are ok with you then by all means put in solar and or wind and disconnect from the system.
But when I worked for a power company the public service commission mandated that we keep enough in spinning reserve to cover the loss of our biggest plant, there was a reason for that.
Our customers demanded reliable service, we experimented with other sources but Nuclear and Fossil proved to be the most reliable and cost effective.
There is an incredible Blackout of Reliable Information.

Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny

images

Plant City FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear a term used incessantly.
"Renewable Resources"
I have asked but no one seems to answer my question.
Precisely when did the earth stop making oil ?

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps it stopped when there were no more warm shallow oceans that supported large amounts of zooplankton and phytoplankton.

U of Calgary: Oil formation

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The USA has a minimum of 3,000 years of natural gas reserves. Investing in stack scrubbers then limiting plant usage may be an alternative.

Electrical generation for domestic air conditioner loads at night is the gremlin.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the 3000 year estimate base upon only domestic use or does it include exportation?

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

85+ years natural gas reserve in USA

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YEEHA!
So let's burn it all up and let our great grandkids worry about it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.