cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

popping/clicking noise from hot water heater?

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used the camper in quite a while as there has just been a lot going on lately and haven't had the chance. It sits in a campground plugged into city power. I keep the breakers on but the hot water switch turned off. I also turned the water off and ran all the water out of the pipes in early December to make sure water didn't sit and freeze. Today I had someone check in on the place for me and they sent me a video of a clicking/popping noise from the hot water heater. He said it didn't make that noise for very long. I want to say i've heard that noise in there before but it's been so long I can't remember.

Q: Is the breaker switch for the HWH on?
A: Yes

Q: Is the electrical switch for the HWH on?
A: No
16 REPLIES 16

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
It could be that the gas switch was always off, but the electric switch was on. Or he has mice.

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
jaycoman89 wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
Ask him to go back and check again to see if the switch is turned off.
All it takes is for the switch to be off for a second or two with no water and the element will burn out and that is the noise he would have heard
I am guessing like a few others have said that the element is burned out

Guy

All it takes is for the switch to be off for a second or two with no water and the element will burn out

did you mean "all it takes is for the switch to be 'on' for a second or two with no water and the element will burn out?"

Oops, my bad ! (another senior moment)
I'll go back and change it

Guy

Haha no worries. Was hoping it was a typo for my sake!

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
jaycoman89 wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
All it takes is for the switch to be off for a second or two with no water and the element will burn out and that is the noise he would have heard

Guy

All it takes is for the switch to be off for a second or two with no water and the element will burn out

did you mean "all it takes is for the switch to be 'on' for a second or two with no water and the element will burn out?"

Oops, my bad ! (another senior moment)
I'll go back and change it

Guy

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
Is it trying to fire up on gas?

That was an initial thought but I'm not sure why it would be trying to fire up at all. Nothing would be triggering it as it's turned off. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the HWH operates.

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:

That was an initial thought but I'm not sure why it would be trying to fire up at all. Nothing would be triggering it as it's turned off. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the HWH operates.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:

Guy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I walked past a whole row of new water heaters at Home Depot. All were empty and not turned on, none were clicking. :W

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
All it takes is for the switch to be ON for a second or two with no water and the element will burn out and that is the noise he would have heard

Guy

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
So he turned on the water heater without water in it? Possibly burned out the element and the noise stopped. That's my guess.

No nothing was ever turned on.

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
If the element did not burn out (from no water), that is just the noise that metal makes while it is heating (expanding) or cooling (contracting).

I was under the impression the element was only at risk if the HWH was turned on with no water?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If the element did not burn out (from no water), that is just the noise that metal makes while it is heating (expanding) or cooling (contracting).

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
So he turned on the water heater without water in it? Possibly burned out the element and the noise stopped. That's my guess.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Blame it on the Crickets? Buddy Holly is long gone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad