cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Advice on Best Brand for Front Living w/ Loft

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
We have had a Truck Camper for several years but with the addition of twin babies along with our teenagers, we see it is time to make a change. We have been looking at 5th wheels for about a year now to include dozens of youtube tours plus going to dealerships about 3 times to see what we can in person.

Our budget is anywhere from $50k to maybe $120k (if it was something really special). From what I can figure out, there are the following options:

Forest River Sabre 377FLL
Keystone Montana 376 / 377FL
Heartland Milestone 370FLMB
Forest River RV Wildwood Heritage Glen 378FL

If there are ones I missed, please feel free to through them out, I would love to be able to expand my search. Note... I think we prefer a loft to a bunkroom just to keep as much room as possible in the floor for the living areas but open to suggestions.

As far as the top contenders, I'm leaning towards the Sabre or Montana based on the front living, loft (Sabre actually has a double loft) and they don't have an Island but rather L shaped counter area (something we prefer). We looked at the Wildwood Heritage and while I really liked the Master Bedroom (roomiest of them all) and front living situation, the kitchen had an Island and very limited counter space so it would be 3rd in line (and probably a remodel of the Island as soon as we had it).

The problem I am finding is that significant amounts of money doesn't seem to lead to necessarily significantly better materials. In fact, it appears that most 5th wheels are cheaply made. Reading up on reviews on Sabre's it appears there are lots of unhappy customers. Montana's aren't really spared from bad reviews either. I'm willing to pay for quality if I can find it but it seems that more money doesn't necessarily lead to better quality.

Any suggestions for Brands I missed or votes of confidence or calls of warnings for the brands we are looking at?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
3 REPLIES 3

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a similar situation. We have two children and currently are waiting for the twins. I agree that Montana is one of the most popular brands, but having surfed the Internet, I started thinking about buying the 2018 Keystone Cougar 367FLS. I have already taken the additional projects at work to earn extra money (fortunately, the guys from https://isaccurate.com/korean-translation-services agreed to help me). Its price is about $50k that is reasonable for a fifth-wheel RV with a front living room. I should say, it is supposed to have enough space for a big family. Maybe this info will be useful for you, if you haven't made the purchase, of course.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
You won't find much better materials until you move up to custom 5ers like SpaceCraft and New Horizon. Even Mobile Suites (DRV) and Redwood use Lippert frames and suspension.

Another issue we see with the front living units is that are shorter on storage space in the kitchen and rear bedroom. This is definite no for us since we are full time.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two Montana fifth wheels , and four fifth wheels total, and have been happy with them all. As far as quality ,you are right they are all mostly the same. I would say the Montana is a bit higher in quality then some ,but not by much. IMO get the floor plan you like ,and go for it.

Montana is probably one of the most popular , if not the most. You will definitely see a lot of them on the road ๐Ÿ™‚