cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patching Coroplast

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 5th has coroplast covering the bottom of it. The factory cut a 8 - 10 inch slit in it to route a power cable thru it. The original tape job fell off after about a year, and now after 2 or 3 redos with Gorilla tape, I cannot get a tape patch to last longer than about 4 months.

The coroplast is now coated with dirt/dust-imbedded adhesive residue which is probably why the tape doesn't stick very well. Not sure how I would get the coroplast cleaned up as it just pushes up when any pressure is applied to it - same problem when applying tape.

Any ideas?
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
21 REPLIES 21

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Yeah, a little water splashing wasn't a concern for me either. It is not a boat. Nice thing about zip ties is that it is easy to re-open an area. Because if there is something in there that needed attention once, chances are it will need attention again.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
And the winner is........zip ties!

They closed it up nicely and I didn't have to bother with cleaning off the old adhesive first!

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

what did you use to seal up the crack so water doesnt get in?

Steve

It's too far from the tires for them to throw water up it, and any other incidental water that might splash up will not likely get thru the joint because the two edges are tight against each other. It would be necessary to seal it if water could accumulate on the surface, but it can't.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
CarnationSailor wrote:

They closed it up nicely and I didn't have to bother with cleaning off the old adhesive first!

what did you use to seal up the crack so water doesnt get in?

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:

🙂
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
At Lowes you can find a spray adhesive,Loktite, that I have used on that black tarp on bottom of mobile homes. It stuck when black tape,
grey tape, and even eterabond wouldn't. Clean good, follow instructions on can, and right after sticking, I used the handle of the sissors to press it. Has held real good.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Use aluminum tape, water proof, cheap,& available most hardware and big box stores. Mobile RV repair told me to use it, a year now and 15,000 miles, no sign of coming loose.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dedmiston
Fizz wrote:
Side note:
Gorilla tape only sticks to itself, even then it's not for long.

But their hair products are to die for.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I've cut access holes in several places in the bottom corro. I even cut some proactively so that I could inspect or access things like the emergency slide lead screw. On each of those I cut the panel along 3 sides, and simply folded the 4th side for access. Then zip tied along the 3 sides to close.

Not sure if you think you need to fully weatherproof afterward. I didn't. If you do, the belly tape works well, and combined with the zip ties it would stay in place even if the adhesive let go. Even better might be an overlay patch.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I had cut the bottom of my 5th at least 4 times when doing work up under the trailer for slide out motors, plumbing and some electrical. Went to the Lowe's and bought 2x1 6ft wood and cut it to lay on each side of the cut out overlapping the edge by 1 inch. Screwed that wood to the uncut coreplast kleaving the 1 inch over the hole. Put the coreplast up and screwed that to the wood. Was able to get back uop into the bottom by removing the screws when needed. Never had it fail and fall down.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
The coroplast is now coated with dirt/dust-imbedded adhesive residue which is probably why the tape doesn't stick very well. Not sure how I would get the coroplast cleaned up ...

It has to be clean if you want anything to stick ! Try Goo Gone.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Side note:
Gorilla tape only sticks to itself, even then it's not for long.
Get some good quality Gaffer's tape.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
I stitched mine up with zip ties.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pop rivets.
Puma 30RKSS