Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Patching Coroplast
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Patching Coroplast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 5th has coroplast covering the bottom of it. The factory cut a 8 - 10 inch slit in it to route a power cable thru it. The original tape job fell off after about a year, and now after 2 or 3 redos with Gorilla tape, I cannot get a tape patch to last longer than about 4 months.

The coroplast is now coated with dirt/dust-imbedded adhesive residue which is probably why the tape doesn't stick very well. Not sure how I would get the coroplast cleaned up as it just pushes up when any pressure is applied to it - same problem when applying tape.

Any ideas?

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarnationSailor wrote:

Our 5th has coroplast covering the bottom of it. The factory cut a 8 - 10 inch slit in it to route a power cable thru it. The original tape job fell off after about a year, and now after 2 or 3 redos with Gorilla tape, I cannot get a tape patch to last longer than about 4 months.

The coroplast is now coated with dirt/dust-imbedded adhesive residue which is probably why the tape doesn't stick very well. Not sure how I would get the coroplast cleaned up as it just pushes up when any pressure is applied to it - same problem when applying tape.

Any ideas?

try clean it up with denatured alchol, that should clean it up nice. you can also put a backing material in there like thin plywood and then screw the coraplast for that then seal it. might last a bit longer.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't help you with the proper clean up but I patched my coroplast about 15 years ago with a spare strip of Eternabond tape. Yeah, it's white and sticks out like a sore thumb (if and only if you're under the trailer), but it's been bullet proof the entire time.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On edit, there are awesome cleaning products out there that will deal with anything that's managed to get stuck on. I have a product that's used to prep vehicles for paint that really does a job on anything I've encountered.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Belly repair tape

Do the clear up, hopefully alcohol will work otherwise use acetone. Wear gloves and goggles. Read the reviews of this stuff, surface prep will determine if it works.

I used that 4 inch strong gorilla tape with a clean surface and it has held up 16 months

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not used it but friends have had good luck using this on a clean surface.
flashing tape

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glues and tapes will simply keep failing, they are just a temporary fix at best.

Add some scrap wood around the perimeter of the opening by screwing through the coroplast into the wood, then you can use screws to hold the patch in place..

You can get even fancier by adding hinges to one side and a clasp on the other to make an easy to use hatch down the road if you need to access that area.

Baxter24

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use 3M tape primer (Amazon) or eternabond spray primer. You may want to get mobile home underbelly repair tape for the repair. Along with the primer it should last.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 03:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pop rivets.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 04:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stitched mine up with zip ties.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Patching Coroplast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.