cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide topper question

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
We recently traded our old camper in on a new one. The new one has slide toppers whereas the old one didn't. We have a probable rain/ice storm coming in the next day or so. On the old camper I just opened up the slides and turned on the refrigerator in preparation to live in it in case of a prolonged power outage.

With the toppers I am leery of opening them up, but if I don't I can't use the heat since the slides cover the floor vents.

Question is Will is be ok to open the slides or not? I don't want to damage the toppers but at the same time don't want to freeze in the house. I can access the refrigerator so that is no problem.

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Open before it gets below freezing so you don't rip off any seals. Close after it warms up.....so you don't rip off any seals.

I opened them about an hour ago.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Open before it gets below freezing so you don't rip off any seals. Close after it warms up.....so you don't rip off any seals.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I just got back from talking to one of the technicians at my dealer and he told me the same thing. Open and use and just be careful when closing back to make sure any ice/snow has melted.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, use the slides with the toppers, as others have said, that's what they're for. When they do ice up, we slowly retract the slides while someone watches outside, as the ice sheet will naturally slide off as the slide goes in, but watching it is best. We've done this since 2010 when we got our unit with toppers and have never damaged them. If you're concerned, you can get up there with a ladder and clear them, but we've not found that to be necessary.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Yes you can use your toppers in those conditions.... they will be great in keeping possible leaks from forming and debris getting in when done..

You just have to make sure they are free and clear of any ice/snow before closing them up..

If they are black, they will heat in the sun much faster and thaw anything once it gets direct sun.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
That is what toppers are for , to keep debris , rain and snow off !
In theory. In practice they may need to be cleared before retraction especially with ice and snow. It's construction and conditions dependent.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes toppers can ice up and must defrost to close the slide. Isn't there an air gap between the vents and slide bottom when retracted alowing the heater to work? Or open a cabinet door or drawer to help with air circulation. All of my slides have access to the floor air when retracted, just hard for me to visualize a sealed slide when retracted.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is what toppers are for , to keep debris , rain and snow off !