cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Future of Chryslers SRT Division

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chrysler's SRT division got the axe by Chryslers new parent company and european controlled Stellantis. This can't be good for Ram's TRX's future.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
32 REPLIES 32

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
That's what Im saying, the AMG decals tacked onto regular cars ruins the real AMG cars....of which are very few left that are produced.

Ah, gotcha. I agree, just like they shouldn't tack a "Z06 performance package" on to a regular Vette.

A Z06 is not a regular Vette and it's performance proves it.

What I meant is if they had a "Z06 appearance pkg" on a regular base Vette, like the M-Sport pkg vs real M2/3/4/5

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
At some point they are going to have to electrify the charger and challenger if they are going to stay relevant. Havenโ€™t seen much on their plans for EV versions other than some concept chatter.

Even if they don't repurpose the nameplate I think everyone realizes the strategy of just stuffing a supercharged 6.2 in everything was not a long term plan. Ironically, the Wrangler with the 6.4 gets better fuel economy than the v6 in Rubicon trim.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
At some point they are going to have to electrify the charger and challenger if they are going to stay relevant. Havenโ€™t seen much on their plans for EV versions other than some concept chatter.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyJ wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
That's what Im saying, the AMG decals tacked onto regular cars ruins the real AMG cars....of which are very few left that are produced.

Ah, gotcha. I agree, just like they shouldn't tack a "Z06 performance package" on to a regular Vette.

A Z06 is not a regular Vette and it's performance proves it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^True, but it's all still marketing.
If I wanted a 500hp car and it was called the D!ldomobile, but the slow car was called something much cooler and more appropriate, I'd still get the D!ldomobile becasue I know how to remove badges and decals.

Although a much greater percentage of people are more heavily swayed by marketing than some of us.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Depends on the vehicle. I just rented a BMW 530i last week. It had "M" badges all over it. It wasn't even a trim package really, just some badges. Other than the colorful badges it appeared to be a normal run of the mill 530i.

It's marketing. They didn't need to call the fast Dodges SRT's or festoon the Z06 nomenclature on the high perf vettes. He!!, they stole that option code from the 1970 (first year I believe) Chevy Chevelle and possibly other models.
And apparently marketing works, because people buy it.

Yup, the M-Sport pkg needs to go. Waters down real M-cars.

The SRT / Z06 / GT350 / GT500 / ZL1 though, at least they're putting in completely different powertrain, suspension, brakes. In fact, only the bare unibody is in common with lesser models.

I'll let that slide, let's say it's paying homage to the originals.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
You guys may want to do your research. The AMG badge has been tacked onto just about ever Benz there is with no real performance difference. AMG used to be built in a separate factory. Now it's done in house which makes it very easy to ruin the brand. Look it up and tell me I'm completely wrong! Yes they may have a couple different motors, but the majority is just badges and some trim!

Are you talking about real AMGs, or an "AMG performance pkg" offered on regular models? BMW has real M-cars, and M-sport Pkg, the latter is watered down.

As far as I know, every real AMG car is a decent step-up in performance, mostly with unique engines. From the lowly C230 Kompressor, to the C36, the early NA E55, the supercharged variant, including hopped up Black Edition versions, the NA 6.2 V8, bi-turbo 5.5/4.0, the insane 4 cyl CLA450. Then the top dogs like bi-turbo V12s, the AMG-GT, and of course SLR.

That's not even including all the chassis component differences. But if there is just a badge-job AMG I'd like to know about it.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
You guys may want to do your research. The AMG badge has been tacked onto just about ever Benz there is with no real performance difference. AMG used to be built in a separate factory. Now it's done in house which makes it very easy to ruin the brand. Look it up and tell me I'm completely wrong! Yes they may have a couple different motors, but the majority is just badges and some trim!

Are you talking about real AMGs, or an "AMG performance pkg" offered on regular models? BMW has real M-cars, and M-sport Pkg, the latter is watered down.

As far as I know, every real AMG car is a decent step-up in performance, mostly with unique engines. From the lowly C230 Kompressor, to the C36, the early NA E55, the supercharged variant, including hopped up Black Edition versions, the NA 6.2 V8, bi-turbo 5.5/4.0, the insane 4 cyl CLA450. Then the top dogs like bi-turbo V12s, the AMG-GT, and of course SLR.

That's not even including all the chassis component differences. But if there is just a badge-job AMG I'd like to know about it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RoyJ wrote:
Yeah, calling AMG / BMW M a "trim level" is pushing it. That's like calling GT500s, Z06/ZR1s trim levels.

In fact, SRT is probably the most extreme "trim level" engineering. I've never seen a platform offered with both a 250hp V6 (early Challenger), and 840hp 9s 1/4 mile V8.

Depends on the vehicle. I just rented a BMW 530i last week. It had "M" badges all over it. It wasn't even a trim package really, just some badges. Other than the colorful badges it appeared to be a normal run of the mill 530i.

It's marketing. They didn't need to call the fast Dodges SRT's or festoon the Z06 nomenclature on the high perf vettes. He!!, they stole that option code from the 1970 (first year I believe) Chevy Chevelle and possibly other models.
And apparently marketing works, because people buy it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, calling AMG / BMW M a "trim level" is pushing it. That's like calling GT500s, Z06/ZR1s trim levels.

In fact, SRT is probably the most extreme "trim level" engineering. I've never seen a platform offered with both a 250hp V6 (early Challenger), and 840hp 9s 1/4 mile V8.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
philh wrote:
To work in the SRT group, you had to be a gearhead. What they have done is distributing the SRT design work to functional groups. It's a tremendous cost savings, HOWEVER, IMO, the SRT badge will quickly drift off to being a pretty badge.

Exactly what happened to AMG with Mercedes. AMG is now just a trim level.

The 4.0L V8 Biturbo, the 5.5L V8 Biturbo, the 6.0L V12 Biturbo would prove you wrong. Having said that I'm not a Mercedes/AMG fan and the europeans can keep their cars.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
To work in the SRT group, you had to be a gearhead. What they have done is distributing the SRT design work to functional groups. It's a tremendous cost savings, HOWEVER, IMO, the SRT badge will quickly drift off to being a pretty badge.

Exactly what happened to AMG with Mercedes. AMG is now just a trim level.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is