cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Occupied RV Fire

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
This poor lady just lost her Class A RV in a fire just now in Reno when a heater tipped over. She made it out safely but photo shows total distruction.

https://www.kolotv.com/2021/02/17/motorhome-destroyed-in-fire/
12 REPLIES 12

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some electric heaters get very hot on their front surface. The good ones have a guard on the front along with the tip over switch. But, I have seen cheaper ones with no guard so even if they have a tip over switch the could easily start a fire from their residual heat when they tip over.

Even with the guard if the electric heater was setting on something like shag carpet when it tipped over it could start a fire.

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
It was most likely NOT an electric heater.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That is horrible for that person, considering that was definitely their home.
Thereโ€™s also about a great chance it was an old school radiant propane heater.
And most likely ill placed, or combustibles placed too near it.
Or using the stove for heat.
Also most homeless people RVs are packed full of, whatever, and a rolling fire trap.
Add the cold, and all that to the typical drug and alcohol issues and this becomes a common occurrence.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolmom42 wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
That's sad. And I doubt she has adequate insurance to replace it, even if she could replace it, and now she's homeless.

It must have been an older heater. All the space heaters I've seen in several years have a tip over switch that cuts them off when they fall over.

That was my first thought ................................

It's very easy to check the cutoff switch, and I always do that fairly often. All you have to do is pick up the heater, or tip it.
X-2, I don't have to pick mine up very far,3/4" it shuts off.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
fire clicky
Puma 30RKSS

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
That's sad. And I doubt she has adequate insurance to replace it, even if she could replace it, and now she's homeless.

It must have been an older heater. All the space heaters I've seen in several years have a tip over switch that cuts them off when they fall over.

It's very easy to check the cutoff switch, and I always do that fairly often. All you have to do is pick up the heater, or tip it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this was the heater:

This stupid suggestion is all over Facebook the last couple of days.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Article doesn't say if it was an electric heater or a propane heater. I can't imagine someone running an onboard genny to power an electric space heater (very inefficient use of resources) so it was probably a propane heater.

She's parked on the street, so it's highly unlikely she was plugged in.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" All the space heaters I've seen in several years have a tip over switch that cuts them off when they fall over."

Considering where most are made will you bet your life the tip over switch will work??? One BIG reason I had "Cheap Heat" installed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
If heater was a low priced coil or wire style, it still could have been pretty hot, and depending on what it was sitting on, could easily start a fire.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board