cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cougar 22MLS vs micro Minnie 2108DS

jasenj1
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are deep into the shopping phase.
We like the 22'-ish class and settled on the micro Minnie 2108DS as a top contender. I know it's a crowded market segment, but you have to choose something as a reference.

Things we like:
  • Narrow - easier to tow for newbs
  • Dinette & couch
  • Reputable brand (but there are so many)
  • Separate fridge & freezer

Recently we saw some videos for the Cougar 22MLS. This is a significantly different trailer.
  • 8' wide
  • Fixed king bed
  • Large slide
  • Larger capacities all around

Based on some quick price checking, the Cougar is about $10k more than the Minnie, too. Not insignificant.

Anyone care to comment on these two?

Edit: I see my links to the product sites got removed.
14 REPLIES 14

Director_Marc
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Cougar 5er brand new in 2005. Never had any build issues with it. Had some problems with the heater & the hot water, but that can happen with any brand camper. Sold it last summer. I would buy a Cougar again

jasenj1
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:

I'm sure I'm missing something, but the prices seem a bit high too...

Word on the street is that prices have gone crazy due to COVID. Both because of all the new buyers and because of supply issues.

jasenj1
Explorer
Explorer
IDman wrote:
The poor quality of the Cougar will make you hate going anywhere in it.

have never heard anyone complain about Winnebago overall quality.

I find this odd since Cougar is marketed as a "luxury" brand.
I've read many complaints about Wnnebago quality - but they are specific items vs "overall" quality. What I read most is that TTs on the whole are built cheaply.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
QCMan wrote:
A little note on lengths: as of 1/1/21 trailer lengths are overall lengths and not imaginary box lengths. The RVIA has finally adopted that standard. If they would get rid of manufacturers advertising dry weights and make them show gvwr and ccc only it would be even better.

Huh? Dry weight is more important than gvwr as it's a huge YMMV as to what someone loads in the rig. Should a trailer with 3k pounds of CCC get passed over just because someone on a forum says everyone fills every trailer to gvwr?
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Does this mean they’re going to start using those lengths for the model names?”

I’m guessing....NOPE!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
A little note on lengths: as of 1/1/21 trailer lengths are overall lengths and not imaginary box lengths. The RVIA has finally adopted that standard. If they would get rid of manufacturers advertising dry weights and make them show gvwr and ccc only it would be even better.

Wonderful. Does this mean they’re going to start using those lengths for the model names?
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
jasenj1 wrote:
It's 26' overall length from bumper to hitch.. 8' wide and 11' tall..

The 22MLS is also 26' overall. Not sure why it's labeled a "22". The layout looks very similar to yours - minus the extra wardrobe slide.

Most makers number their units by the flat floor length. The new standard is true length in the specs.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
The poor quality of the Cougar will make you hate going anywhere in it.

have never heard anyone complain about Winnebago overall quality.

jasenj1
Explorer
Explorer

The 22MLS is also 26' overall. Not sure why it's labeled a "22". The layout looks very similar to yours - minus the extra wardrobe slide.

And I realize the two trailers are very different. That's kind of the point of the comparison. One is lighter, narrower, smaller overall. The other is bigger all around. From a build quality perspective, I don't know if one is better than the other.

The Cougar has the inCommand system which seems like a neat feature. Remote monitoring & control of the trailer sounds very useful.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Umm... Those 2 trailers are miles apart in comparison if I google those models..

The Cougar is way more trailer than the Minnie.. Unless I totally missed something...

Cougar is #5700 Dry.. Minnie is some #4000 dry.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but the prices seem a bit high too...

Heck, I got my 19 Rockwood 2511S for $26k. Here is it's floor plan..

It's GVWR is #7000 and it's dry weight was in the #5500 range if I recall..

I paid $26k for it brand new back in 19.. Guess prices have gone up a bit now..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can't comment on the Minnie as I have no experience with them. I can say that the Cougar 22RBS that we have has had no major issues and only a few very minor issues. Like all trailers, there are shortcuts taken to reduce weight like thin shelving which I beef up with 1/4" plywood on top and braces underneath. That makes it so canned goods do not end up on the next shelf down if a road gets a little rough. I was impressed with the chassis structure and suspension as it is about 7200 pounds mgvw and has two 4400 pound axles under it and a set of tires capable of almost 10 k pounds.
I will note that this unit was built at the end of October 2019 so it was pre covid. There were many issues with all trailers right after production resumed and I cannot verify that things are back to normal. If they are, quality should be back up but it must be noted that serial number 42 could be a fantastic trailer and serial number 43 could be a real dog on just about any trailer line.
Also realize that after negotiations the difference will not be as much as you suspect.
Whichever you choose, happy camping and be safe!
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No experience with the Cougar. I’m very pleased with my Winnie TT. Not sure at all that the difference between a 7 foot wide TT and an 8 footer makes much difference when towing. Might with interior room however. My Winnie is 7.5 feet wide. No longer built. There are other good brands but Winnebago and Airstream are the known words to the general public. Are you planning to dry camp/boondock? If not, fresh and waste water tank sizes don’t make much difference.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad