cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Light Stays On

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
I have an odd issue on my Winnebago 2007 Voyage 35L. After replacing the hydraulic Jacks, (which is a whole different nightmare) I found that the green light on the dash and steps generator start switches stayed on whether the generator was running or not. I have tried turning off the starting battery isolation switch, but they stay on. Same with turning off the house batteries by the steps. It is not connected to AC power. I know a few things and have a multimeter, but Iโ€™m not sure where to go from here. Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The generator is not connected through the battery isolation/disconnect contactors because the generator's starter motor requires a large current when cranking (in the rough vicinity of 100A average, presumably with peaks well above that, on the generator in my motorhome).

This sounds like a generator problem or generator control problem--an auto-generator-start controller if you have one, say--as much as anything. It might be something as simple as one of the generator control switches sticking it the "off" position rather than properly in the neutral position. It may be that the generator just thinks its in a fault condition rather than actually off, and merely interrupting its power would reset its little brain.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
See if you can get a wiring diagram. Some things cannot be turned off like smoke detectors, engine computers and who knows what else. That's one reason that I installed full disconnect switches on both battery banks.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob