cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigation

Green_Goblin
Explorer
Explorer
What do most veteran RV'ers use for navigation? Because I have heard of issues with the Garmin style dashboard navigation devices I am downloading trucker apps to my phone and having some luck. But what I am really looking for in these apps, and not finding them, is "avoid left turns" and certain lane switches. Blind spots are atrocious on my set up so I put in cameras with monitors on my dashboard but to get around can be really difficult, especially when going through congestion or metropolitan areas. Any suggestions?
24 REPLIES 24

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another " Ol' Fart here" I use the Co-Pilot App with a Samsung TAB A 8" screen. The night before I layout my route and check it out on my Rand McNally Truckers Atlas and Google maps. I write the various route changes on a piece of paper and check them off as I go. I have plenty of time and besides I enjoy becoming familiar with the route and "points of interest" along the way. As mentioned I also try to go around bigger cities if possible too. Haven't had any problems yet, however staying aware and not sight seeing while I'm driving helps a lot.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildtoad wrote:
Snip...

I’d post a screen shot but this antiquated forum software makes it impossible unless you use another website to store your pictures.

Not true!
Take a look at this thread I started on this topic. All you do is upload from your computer to the app. Copy and paste the resulting URL into a post without making ANY alterations to it. Boom! Done! :B

Also, after you have read the above site, try it out in this thread. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google maps is fine if you are not worried about areas with propane restrictions or height of an RV. If you are the same height as a semi truck you need a GPS that steers you clear of low clearance.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still using old faithful MS Streets & Trips 2013 here. There is nothing else independent of cell service where you can change your route on the fly. A stand alone app is like having every map there ever was right there on the laptop ready to be looked at anytime & anywhere.

If there was an updated replacement I'd get it in a heartbeat.

We have the Garmin RV GPS, which is fine, but it wants to take us the most direct route from A to B. Not our style. Anything paved is possible for our wheels.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve been very pleased with several apps, usually Co-Pilot on an iPad Mini.

It’s got a beautiful big screen that’s easy to see at a very fast glance and sends verbal instructions through Bluetooth on my cab stereo.

It makes laying a route in advance super easy!,

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I realize that I am a freak. I don't route to destinations,just wander in the general direction and fine tune when I get close. I use just a plain ole Garmin.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always used TomTom devices and when the last one died I use TomTom on my phone. There is an annual subscription which I am fine with. When things get complicated it zooms in and provides excellent lane guidance, voice and visual. Maps are updated once a quarter. Real time traffic information is good as well.

Maps are downloaded onto your device. Quite often we will be out of reach of a cell tower and on a whim decide to go somewhere. With google maps and no cell service this can be a problem.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Green_Goblin
Explorer
Explorer
rlw999 wrote:
I use a Garmin 780RV for general navigation, I really like the routing and the UI to see what's ahead for gas, food, etc. The low bridge warning has warned me off some routes so that seems to be working well.

Even though the Garmin does have traffic routing (it gets updates by linking with your phone), I found that Google Maps is much better for traffic, so I use both -- the Garmin GPS for general navigation, and Google Maps on my phone to look for traffic, especially when in/near cities.

I was behind a delivery driver, standard box truck, who wasn't paying attention and hit an overpass walk way or street Just WAM!!! at full speed. I also witnessed a similar truck get stuck in an underground delivery dock, shaved off the sheetmetal off the top of the truck like a sardine can. We had to drop his tire pressures down to the rims to get him out. I plan on being very careful.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Garmin 780RV for general navigation, I really like the routing and the UI to see what's ahead for gas, food, etc. The low bridge warning has warned me off some routes so that seems to be working well.

Even though the Garmin does have traffic routing (it gets updates by linking with your phone), I found that Google Maps is much better for traffic, so I use both -- the Garmin GPS for general navigation, and Google Maps on my phone to look for traffic, especially when in/near cities.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Green Goblin wrote:
Honestly I don't like doing more than 150 w/o a break. I will heed this advice. Thanks. If you see me and my green machine say hello.

My 2012 Ram 2500 Hemi can do about 200 miles on a 30 gallon tank towing. But my bladder cannot do 4 hours.

I plan to never drop below 1/2 tank of fuel, which is normally near 130-150 miles when towing.

Occasionally, if I know the fuel stops, I-35 between DFW and San Antonio for example, I'll run down to a quarter tank. But I'm stopping for a .... break after about 2 1/2 hours. Period.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Green_Goblin
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Navigation starts with a map. Knowing where you plan to go, what route you should take.

I use apps like AllStays, RV Trip Wizard (PC Only), RV Parky, and state DOT websites to check for obstructions, construction, etc.

Then I put the route I want to take into two different GPS units to monitor while driving. I've been too many places where Google Maps gave up and could not figure out where I was. Well out of cell phone range also. I want a stand alone device.

My route is written down on paper, so my wife and look quickly at tell me that we need to turn on County Road 123.

No GPS or Google Maps or app had a ROUTE for you to travel. It chooses a route based on waypoints, and the friggin things can change their minds for all kinds of reasons.

I use a Rand McNally RV GPS for monitoring my planned route, set to show me what the road looks like for the next mile. It is set to NOT recalculate if I miss a turn. (I also use the Rand for maintenance logs, fuel purchase logs, etc.).

I use a Garming RV GPS set to auto-recalculate to monitor traffic, weather, such.

Before I leave, I step through the route turn by turn, to make sure I NEVER face an unexpected roadway.

I also usually know which places I will refuel. Mostly a specific station, sometimes, just in a particular town.

If something forces us to change, or I get a wild hair to go someplace else, DW can reprogram the Garmin for a new waypoint or destination.

She is also quite practiced at using RV Parky and AllStays to find new campgrounds or places to stop overnight.

Yes, I'm an old fart with no job, so I can play with routes, optimize them for the way my truck and trailer travel. Even without internet. I have a highly customized copy of Streets & Trips 2013. True it doesn't show every roadway or changes.

A few times, we got an early start, the drive was easy, and I've stretched my destination a bit. Once all the way from Decatur Texas to Albuquerque, another time from Decatur to Tatum, NM.

Mostly I plan for less than 300 miles a day travel. It's about the journey for us, and that leaves us options to stop and smell the bluebonnets.

Of course, I've been doing this for seven years, and I pull a TT which is relatively low as far as height compared to many other rigs. But it is a total of 62 feet long, with a very large turn radius, more than a Class A or almost all 5ers.

You know PawPaw this is probably the best advice I have received. We forget a lot about these options when we become reliant on a car gps or our phone. I went old school with a 2008 F250 Superduty out of AZ. A retired forestry truck with no frills. Laymen everything. I want to slow down, think, not react. Keep my eyes on the road and surroundings. A paper map can tell us a lot if we stop and look at it. With knowledge of mpg and capabilities I can plan ahead by about 100-150 miles, stop for a break and top off the tank and plan for my next leg. Avoid metropolitan areas and go around them (694-494 loops around Minneapolis/St Paul help a lot to avoid the DT areas that bottle neck), take side roads and visit small towns. I plan on what you said, 300 mi a day. Honestly I don't like doing more than 150 w/o a break. I will heed this advice. Thanks. If you see me and my green machine say hello.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
In 8 years we have never had a failure with Rand-McNally's RVND (Recreational Vehicle Navigation Device) Although it has missed a couple of low clearances.

I do also carry the most recent edition of The R-M spiral bound Trucker's Road Atlas.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Many times I like to just head in a general direction. That's exceptionally easy here in Michigans lower peninsula. Too far west and there's Lake Michigan, going east it's I-75 or lake Huron, north Mackinac Bridge. It can be very interesting just winging it enroute.
For long trips out of state, get an idea of your route by using maps or Google Earth beforehand. A few years ago I was in Oklahoma City and my gps hadn't been updated for a bit. I was traveling on an expressway that the gps didn't know and it kept telling me I was offroad, but I had acquainted my self with the area I was going. When I got to me destination I asked and that highway was less than a year old

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Navigation starts with a map. Knowing where you plan to go, what route you should take.

I use apps like AllStays, RV Trip Wizard (PC Only), RV Parky, and state DOT websites to check for obstructions, construction, etc.

Then I put the route I want to take into two different GPS units to monitor while driving. I've been too many places where Google Maps gave up and could not figure out where I was. Well out of cell phone range also. I want a stand alone device.

My route is written down on paper, so my wife and look quickly at tell me that we need to turn on County Road 123.

No GPS or Google Maps or app had a ROUTE for you to travel. It chooses a route based on waypoints, and the friggin things can change their minds for all kinds of reasons.

I use a Rand McNally RV GPS for monitoring my planned route, set to show me what the road looks like for the next mile. It is set to NOT recalculate if I miss a turn. (I also use the Rand for maintenance logs, fuel purchase logs, etc.).

I use a Garming RV GPS set to auto-recalculate to monitor traffic, weather, such.

Before I leave, I step through the route turn by turn, to make sure I NEVER face an unexpected roadway.

I also usually know which places I will refuel. Mostly a specific station, sometimes, just in a particular town.

If something forces us to change, or I get a wild hair to go someplace else, DW can reprogram the Garmin for a new waypoint or destination.

She is also quite practiced at using RV Parky and AllStays to find new campgrounds or places to stop overnight.

Yes, I'm an old fart with no job, so I can play with routes, optimize them for the way my truck and trailer travel. Even without internet. I have a highly customized copy of Streets & Trips 2013. True it doesn't show every roadway or changes.

A few times, we got an early start, the drive was easy, and I've stretched my destination a bit. Once all the way from Decatur Texas to Albuquerque, another time from Decatur to Tatum, NM.

Mostly I plan for less than 300 miles a day travel. It's about the journey for us, and that leaves us options to stop and smell the bluebonnets.

Of course, I've been doing this for seven years, and I pull a TT which is relatively low as far as height compared to many other rigs. But it is a total of 62 feet long, with a very large turn radius, more than a Class A or almost all 5ers.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT