cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell Boosting Kits Sold on Ebay

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Has anyone purchased an inexpensive cell boosting kit that are sold on Ebay? If so, are they any good, or they are just worthless junk? There are several of them ranging in price from $100 to $200.

weBoost (made by Wilson Antenna) offers a kit for $500 that has mostly good reviews but I can't justify the cost for the very few times we may need to use it, hence why I'm looking to get something cheaper.

The following link is for illustrative purposes:
Cell Phone Signal Booster

Moderator's Note: Changed URL link to shortcut. Using the full Ebay page link can sometimes cause unwanted characters to appear in Forum posts.
20 REPLIES 20

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a WeBoost on my house and a cheap ebay unit on my shop. I can not really tell much difference other than Weboost will work with any carrier. Most of the cheap ones on ebay are band/frequency specific so you will need to know what band your carrier uses. That probably causes a lot of the returned packages

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Don't waste your money on the knock-offs. Either get the WeBoost or don't bother. Voice of experience.

I have one for my house (acquired after putting on a metal roof) and one for my car. Haven't needed one yet for the RV but probably will get one in the future. They work great.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Coverage maps

Looking at those maps I'd have to say that Verizon is best out west, and T-Mobile is second ATT has giant gaps. The western half of WY for example. That goes along with our experience, my wife had ATT and was often w/o coverage out west. I had it almost everywhere we went. She change to Visible which is what I have now. Out west in this case means the desert SW and mountain states excluding the left coast.

That map is not very accurate. I have Verizon and my bud has ATT and he had better service in western WY than I did. And it was fairly significant. We haven't been all over the west, but no place did he have worse service than me.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
#1Flyboy wrote:
Notice the low rating on the reviews please....

Many of those units are being sold as "open box," which leads me to believe they were returned by unsatisfied customers. When I could determine brands, I checked reviews elsewhere and a few of them had decent reviews.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Notice the low rating on the reviews please....

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Start with a great antenna. I wish phones had a "real" antenna port. Then get a booster.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
2oldman wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
The real test of T-Mobile coverage will take place when we start traveling, but so far so good.
Perhaps their coverage has improved, but, Verizon's been very good to me. I'm not sure how much of your "careful consideration" was cost. ๐Ÿ™‚

We were with Verizon for about 20 years, most of those years living in a very large metropolitan area where coverage was second to none. Verizon also served us well most of the time in our many travels across the country. However, as I mentioned before, where we live now T-Mobile has better coverage than Verizon. Proven by testing Verizon and T-Mobile cell phones side by side using apps measuring signal strength, tower locations and speed comparisons, and by checking a couple of up-to-date cell coverage third-party websites. And, yes, cost was part of our careful consideration.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd stick with name brands like Wilson or WeBoost -- it's easy to make a booster that increases signal strength shown on your phone, but is so noisy that the signal is lower quality that without the booster. You could get lucky and find a cheap booster that's perfectly tuned and working well, or you could get a bad one and it's really hard to know how well it's really working without signal testing equipment.

Plus, you're supposed to register the booster with your cellular company, and they may not agree to register an off brand.

And finally if you're mostly interested in data connectivity rather than making celluar calls, you might be better off with a roof mounted hotspot since they'll use multiple antennas with MIMO to get faster bandwidth than you'll get through most boosters.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
The real test of T-Mobile coverage will take place when we start traveling, but so far so good.
Perhaps their coverage has improved, but, Verizon's been very good to me. I'm not sure how much of your "careful consideration" was cost. ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coverage maps

Looking at those maps I'd have to say that Verizon is best out west, and T-Mobile is second ATT has giant gaps. The western half of WY for example. That goes along with our experience, my wife had ATT and was often w/o coverage out west. I had it almost everywhere we went. She change to Visible which is what I have now. Out west in this case means the desert SW and mountain states excluding the left coast.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Community Alumni
Not applicable
agesilaus wrote:
2oldman wrote:
You may consider switching to Verizon and not have a need for a booster.

Yeash T Mobile has the worst coverage out west. Verizon is the best followed by ATT

After careful consideration we recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. We actually have much better coverage with T-Mobile than Verizon in our small community. The real test of T-Mobile coverage will take place when we start traveling, but so far so good.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
agesilaus wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
You are rolling the dice buying electronics from eBay chinese suppliers. I bought this unit off Amazon
where you can at least return something. It seems to give about one to two bars of signal boost. Tho I have not done a quantitative test yet. We had visible/Verizon signals everywhere this last summer except one spot. That was in 21 states and 32 camp spots.

I'm also considering this unit. I like the fact it comes with an external omni-directional antenna. Based on what I've read, experts recommend using omni-directional antennas for RVs since they don't require taking the time to aim the antenna.

We bought a painter pole that extends to 20 feet for$35 from Lowes. Putting the antenna up higher can get a signal when you have none or a weak signal. I could put a directional antenna on that but like you I am holding off on that. We did not have the pole last summer tho the antenna is on the top of our ladder, about 10 feet up.

I'm also planning to get a telescoping pole.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemsworld wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
You are rolling the dice buying electronics from eBay chinese suppliers. I bought this unit off Amazon
where you can at least return something. It seems to give about one to two bars of signal boost. Tho I have not done a quantitative test yet. We had visible/Verizon signals everywhere this last summer except one spot. That was in 21 states and 32 camp spots.

I'm also considering this unit. I like the fact it comes with an external omni-directional antenna. Based on what I've read, experts recommend using omni-directional antennas for RVs since they don't require taking the time to aim the antenna.

We bought a painter pole that extends to 20 feet for$35 from Lowes. Putting the antenna up higher can get a signal when you have none or a weak signal. I could put a directional antenna on that but like you I am holding off on that. We did not have the pole last summer tho the antenna is on the top of our ladder, about 10 feet up.
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
You may consider switching to Verizon and not have a need for a booster.

Yeash T Mobile has the worst coverage out west. Verizon is the best followed by ATT
Superbumper