Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cell Boosting Kits Sold on Ebay
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cell Boosting Kits Sold on Ebay

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

2oldman wrote:

You may consider switching to Verizon and not have a need for a booster.

Yeash T Mobile has the worst coverage out west. Verizon is the best followed by ATT

After careful consideration we recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. We actually have much better coverage with T-Mobile than Verizon in our small community. The real test of T-Mobile coverage will take place when we start traveling, but so far so good.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coverage maps

Looking at those maps I'd have to say that Verizon is best out west, and T-Mobile is second ATT has giant gaps. The western half of WY for example. That goes along with our experience, my wife had ATT and was often w/o coverage out west. I had it almost everywhere we went. She change to Visible which is what I have now. Out west in this case means the desert SW and mountain states excluding the left coast.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

The real test of T-Mobile coverage will take place when we start traveling, but so far so good.
Perhaps their coverage has improved, but, Verizon's been very good to me. I'm not sure how much of your "careful consideration" was cost. [emoticon]

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me, I'd stick with name brands like Wilson or WeBoost -- it's easy to make a booster that increases signal strength shown on your phone, but is so noisy that the signal is lower quality that without the booster. You could get lucky and find a cheap booster that's perfectly tuned and working well, or you could get a bad one and it's really hard to know how well it's really working without signal testing equipment.

Plus, you're supposed to register the booster with your cellular company, and they may not agree to register an off brand.

And finally if you're mostly interested in data connectivity rather than making celluar calls, you might be better off with a roof mounted hotspot since they'll use multiple antennas with MIMO to get faster bandwidth than you'll get through most boosters.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

The real test of T-Mobile coverage will take place when we start traveling, but so far so good.
Perhaps their coverage has improved, but, Verizon's been very good to me. I'm not sure how much of your "careful consideration" was cost. [emoticon]

We were with Verizon for about 20 years, most of those years living in a very large metropolitan area where coverage was second to none. Verizon also served us well most of the time in our many travels across the country. However, as I mentioned before, where we live now T-Mobile has better coverage than Verizon. Proven by testing Verizon and T-Mobile cell phones side by side using apps measuring signal strength, tower locations and speed comparisons, and by checking a couple of up-to-date cell coverage third-party websites. And, yes, cost was part of our careful consideration.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start with a great antenna. I wish phones had a "real" antenna port. Then get a booster.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Notice the low rating on the reviews please....

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1Flyboy wrote:

Notice the low rating on the reviews please....

Many of those units are being sold as "open box," which leads me to believe they were returned by unsatisfied customers. When I could determine brands, I checked reviews elsewhere and a few of them had decent reviews.

srt20

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Coverage maps

Looking at those maps I'd have to say that Verizon is best out west, and T-Mobile is second ATT has giant gaps. The western half of WY for example. That goes along with our experience, my wife had ATT and was often w/o coverage out west. I had it almost everywhere we went. She change to Visible which is what I have now. Out west in this case means the desert SW and mountain states excluding the left coast.

That map is not very accurate. I have Verizon and my bud has ATT and he had better service in western WY than I did. And it was fairly significant. We haven't been all over the west, but no place did he have worse service than me.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't waste your money on the knock-offs. Either get the WeBoost or don't bother. Voice of experience.

I have one for my house (acquired after putting on a metal roof) and one for my car. Haven't needed one yet for the RV but probably will get one in the future. They work great.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cell Boosting Kits Sold on Ebay
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.