cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2021 Ford F53 Chassis v8 engine

Motor_City_Swag
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed that the new Ford class A motorhomes built on the F53 chassis are now using the V8 engine instead of the 6.8 V10 does anyone know the why? How does the V8 compare to the v10?

Motor City Swagman 2000 Bounder 36S
Ford V-10, Banks Power Pack w/ TC,
BrakeBuddy,Davis Tru Trac,Safe T Plus,Aventa II & Xplorer Sport Trac

:W
15 REPLIES 15

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I'd trade in a 3 YO motorhome for the latest and greatest new option anyway, but as an engineer I prefer a system that's been put through the tests of time. The V10 in my BayStar 3414 (just like the video!) does a great job. took it to Ohio from Maryland, so had some nice mountains to clear and it did just fine.

As far as off the line acceleration...yeah, the 7.3 seems a bit faster, but as long as I can get onto the interstate and merge into traffic without plunging the right lane to any great degree, it works just fine.

The 7.3 will either succeed or fail over the next few years and become the new normal. I hope Ford succeeds with it like they did with that V10. Great design. I had a 5.4 V8 Expedition (just add 2 cylinders and it's the same engine) and that engine pulled my trailer I owned very well and never had an issue. So I knew what kind of engine to expect in the MH.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
Its not just the HP difference, it also has more torque and now its running through a 10 speed transmission instead of a 6 speed.

So far every report I've seen has been very positive. Well, except from a few current V10 owners that don't want to accept the newer driveline is better. :W

There are also chassis upgrades as well.

The F53 isn't getting the 10 speed. It's still mated with the 6 speed.

As far as the V-8 being better.......I haven't read any reports that says it any better. I also haven't read anything. That says it's worse. Just new technology. And better programming. When you get rid of the poor Ford ECU programming the V-10 is an amazing engine!

Agree. I have a 2020 motorhome with 6.8 v10. f53 chassis. Too soon in regarding 7.3. I believe 7.3 only has 8 more pounds of torque. I know the 7.3 is a good engine but on my Jayco owners forum some owners having trouble with spark plug wires with 7.3 engine. V10 is tried and true.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Its not just the HP difference, it also has more torque and now its running through a 10 speed transmission instead of a 6 speed.

So far every report I've seen has been very positive. Well, except from a few current V10 owners that don't want to accept the newer driveline is better. :W

The F53 isn't getting the 10 speed. It's still mated with the 6 speed.

As far as the V-8 being better.......I haven't read any reports that says it any better. I also haven't read anything. That says it's worse. Just new technology. And better programming. When you get rid of the poor Ford ECU programming the V-10 is an amazing engine!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
The V10 was designed for commercial applications and never placed in automobiles. If the newer V8 is going into cars, Iโ€™m betting itโ€™s nowhere the engine the 10 was.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Bruce_Brown

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Maybe the doghouse will be smaller giving you more room in the cockpit. V-10 was 362 HP then detuned to 320 HP in the newer engines the 7.3 is supposed to be 350 HP. Only time will tell if performance or MPG will improve in a 18,000 lb MH. Some initial reports I have read about Class C's with the new engine have been good.

It wasn't defund, they just changed he way they do their ratings. So this new motor only has 30 more HP. Not very impressive in a 20k lb MH!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe the doghouse will be smaller giving you more room in the cockpit. V-10 was 362 HP then detuned to 320 HP in the newer engines the 7.3 is supposed to be 350 HP. Only time will tell if performance or MPG will improve in a 18,000 lb MH. Some initial reports I have read about Class C's with the new engine have been good.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
From my reading the engine makes less HP but is more efficient. I haven't read any reviews yet that say it's worlds better. The V-10/6spd was amazing. The 7.3 has got big shoes to fill, and so far I'm not seeing it anywhere!

LINK

Seen that when it came out. Not very impressed!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
From my reading the engine makes less HP but is more efficient. I haven't read any reviews yet that say it's worlds better. The V-10/6spd was amazing. The 7.3 has got big shoes to fill, and so far I'm not seeing it anywhere!

LINK
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 7.3V8 has about 21 year newer technology and from the reports I have read it shows. Not the the V10 was bad, but Ford learned a lot in those 21 years.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Dont forget,,,, 2021 Class A's are being built on 2020 Ford Chassis and drivetrains.
There is some overlap.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they discontinued the V10
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I thought Ford dropped the V-10 engine when they started producing the 7.3 gssoline V-8 engine.
Is the V-10 still being produced?