cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US 72 from Memphis to Sevierville, TN

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We (mostly I) want to take this route. Maybe there is a TN person out there to give an opinion. Of course will be glad to have any thoughts on this route. 42' FW. Thank you. Betsy.
Betsy
13 REPLIES 13

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
More good info. I have printed each one. Thank you all. Betsy.
Betsy

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Man hate to hear that, it was a nice park. Stayed there some years back returning from Arkansas.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Joe Wheeler State park is closed. Toronado went thru it
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
2 Things.
US-72A from Muscle Shoals AL. thru Decatur AL. is better than US-72 thru Athens. But if you can't get a site at Point Mallard, look at Joe Wheeler SP, it's right off US-72 just outside Rogersville AL.
I-24 thru Chattanooga is a mess! Look at taking TN-28/US-127 north from exit 155 Jasper TN. north to Crossville TN. and I-40
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea. Thank you.
Betsy

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure Monte Sano St Park is open. They were suppose to shut the campgrounds down for remolding. Guntersville is south and out of the way. Look at Point Mallerd Campground in Decatur, Al. Nice park and close to your route. They changed the rules and it is not a trailer Park anymore. Has two week limit
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, Was planning a stop in Huntsville at Monte Sano St. Park. Will check out Guntersville St. Park. Thank You. Betsy.
Betsy

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Dave, Was planning to then get on 75 up to 40 but as per all this good info will change that plan. We were planning on saying at Monte Sano St. Park in Huntsville. A good idea? Thanks for all the help. Betsy.
Betsy

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Where it goes thru Huntsville it will be a lot of traffic and red lights. Best bet is to hit I-65 in Athens and go south. Take 565 thru Huntsville and it will turn back in yeti Hwy 72. then it is an easy drive to Chattanooga.
I take 565 thru Huntsville toward Chattanooga all the time
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh yeah! Our kind of route.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like a nice drive. 72 terminates near Chattanooga, so what would be your planned route from there? The interstates would be 24 to 75 to 40, but keeping with the non-interstate theme overall perhaps you could get through Chattanooga on I-24, then either take 75 up to Cleveland or US 64, and hop from Cleveland east on US 64 to get on 411 which will take you all the way to Sevierville, avoiding Knoxville. Some pretty country. Either way, if going through Chattanooga Iโ€™d recommend the interstate as both US 64 and 41 go through tunnels, and the 41 tunnel is only 12โ€™6โ€ I believe.

Oh, and edited to add that you should stop at the Lodge Outlet in South Pittsburg, TN!
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a nice route but it goes through northern Mississippi and Alabama mostly. Planning any stops along that way? It's a long enough day on 40 for that distance let alone taking secondary road. Guntersville state park is a nice place to stop. A little south of your route but not that far off.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
No problem, Slow - number of cities
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos