Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chevy vs Arctic Fox. Can It Tow It...Safely?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Chevy vs Arctic Fox. Can It Tow It...Safely?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
moparjer

home

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I keep hearing from friends and gather from reading forums that my pickup, which was bought for work, isn't up to the task for towing for three main reasons:
  1. It isn't a Ford
  2. It isn't a diesel
  3. It isn't DRW

Here's what it is though. A 2020 Silverado 3500HD 4X4,LB. The fifth wheel towing weight limit on the door sticker is 16,200lbs. The 5er I'm leaning toward is the AF 27-5L with an advertised GVWR of 13,600lbs. My long term plan is to not take this all over the country, but to go from my home in eastern Oregon to Arizona during the winter and come back in the spring. Will it work? Why or why not?

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd do that in a heartbeat. I wouldn't want to tow a 27-5L all over the place every other weekend or so with a gasser, but a one time trip down then 5-6 months head back would be easy.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if you believe the forums, you will need a bigger truck, no matter the size of trailer!! [emoticon] A diesel will pull that wt, with less effort, but the gasser will work, for your use!

Your truck should do a great job, towing that trailer, even if loaded to the full GVWR! That should be a good FW too. While I have no experience using one, they have a good rep.

If you are within your RAWR/tire rating, which you will be, unless you fill the bed with rocks, you are GTG!

If you have the FW hitch puck system, you need to look at the B&W 3700.

Jerry

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't mention the payload but I would think it's doable, sure there might be a few steep inclines from OR to AZ or back where a diesel would do a better job climbing, other than that most don't load their RVs beyond GVWR anyway where you already have a decent margin. That's coming from someone who has always had gasser tow vehicles, living in the mountain west we never had an issue getting up and down steep inclines, yes we drop a few mph getting to the top, regardless we always get to our destination. Good luck, AF are nice units, hope it is everything you expected and then some.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

welcome to the forum.
Most rv folks newbs to towing trailers have no idea how much load a truck can carry safely or how much weight it can safely tow (pull). So they say get a DRW/diesel.
Anywayz you already have the '20 3500 SRW LB 4wd 6.6 gasser.
The truck won't have any issues towing/starting/stopping/handling a 13xxx lb gvwr 5th wheel rv trailer especially for what your doing with it.

Looks like a good combo.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have no problems towing an AF 25Y. AF does make very heavy RVs. I have a F350 SRW diesel tho. I would want a DRW if we every went over 35 ft in a Fiver. We had a 34 ft fiver before the AF and had no trouble with pulling that up and down mountains including Hwy 12 outside Escalante.
All this does depend on where you plan to travel, east of the River flatlands no problem with a gasser. West of the Front range, well you'll find out.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be fine. Its got power. You will not win any contests for mpg , bit you'll get there.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a little surprised that your 3500HD only has a tow rating for a 5th wheel of 16,200 pounds. My 2020 2500HD SRW with the 11,350 GVWR has a 5th wheel tow rating of 18,500 I would have thought it would be higher.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I'm a little surprised that your 3500HD only has a tow rating for a 5th wheel of 16,200 pounds. My 2020 2500HD SRW with the 11,350 GVWR has a 5th wheel tow rating of 18,500 I would have thought it would be higher.

Rob...those GM guys are just playin games! Yours is not REALLY a 2500, and has that great diesel power to pull.

Jerry

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Rob...those GM guys are just playin games! Yours is not REALLY a 2500, and has that great diesel power to pull. Jerry

I can't wait to actually see what that diesel can do! C'mon Spring!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Chevy vs Arctic Fox. Can It Tow It...Safely?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.