cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of engine replacement or rebuild

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Airstream Land Yacht with a 7.4 Vortec motor with 90k miles on it. It runs perfectly and I have no reason to think it's going to need to be replaced anytime soon but should that day come what should I expect it to cost, roughly?
22 REPLIES 22

Lukey
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 97 firan 33 foot with a blown up 7.4.
Previous owner checked at a shop and they wanted $10k-$12k for new engine and r&r. Iโ€™ve always done my own work so I pulled it and rebuilt it. Iโ€™m still almost $3k in. I will say, pulling it and reinstalling was the toughest motor job Iโ€™ve ever done! Keep maintenance done and you shouldnโ€™t have any problems. Now as for the 3000 mile or 5000-7500 mile oil changes, do whatever you feel. Mine has 32,000 miles on it and the oiling system was the issue with why it blew. Most vehicles that state a 7500 mile change also donโ€™t weigh 16,000lbs...
I will be doing mine every 3,000 miles.
-LUKEY-

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 7.4L carbureted rebuilt in 2013 (yeah, I know). It cost me right at $5K for parts and labor. FWIW
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

MrWizard
No matter when it goes, next year or tomorrow, it cost big bucks, when your a regular working stiff, even bigger impact when your a retired working stiff
2012 in frame rebuild of the Cummins in the DP, $7000 and two weeks motel expense , full timing and on a trip
3 yrs later turbo went out, blew oil everywhere,but where it was so
Posed to go, $15000 rebuild and 2 weeks In the motel
All you can do is keep some money available and pray, it doesn't happen during your big vacation trip across country
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Teleman wrote:
A good thing is that I haven't seen the temp climb at all even in first gear on steep hills. I haven't driven in hot weather yet though.
Post back in July and let us know how you do. The real test is a 90 degree day on a long incline. There are a number of things you can do if it runs hot.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
A good thing is that I haven't seen the temp climb at all even in first gear on steep hills. I haven't driven in hot weather yet though.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I worry more about the transmission, wheel bearings, belts, hoses, etc. than the engine. Our MH is low mileage (under 30k) but it is 20 years old so many thing can fail from age!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 125,000 miles on mine now with just spark plug, wires, distributer cap and rotors changes. As Bud said I worry more about the transmission, so I change the filter and fluid every 30,000 miles or so along with the rear end fluid. I think Headers, FF muffler sans cat, and a CAI will help it run cooler, add about 80 HP, and give it a longer life. 454's run hot so these mods will help it run cooler which will add to the engine and transmission life. My engine uses about 1/2 qt of oil between oil changes every 7000 miles or so. Every 3 years or so I run Seafoam or Berriman's B-12 through the TBI just to keep the top end clean and every 5 years through the crankcase. Syn oil will also keep the crank case clean. A friend had a crate engine install for about $9000, watch the heat and maintain it and you will see 250,000 miles if not save $10,000 for an engine replacement.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
That Porsche engine probably came out from under the car. Maybe 10 thousand in parts and 30 thousand in labor LoL!!
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky2 wrote:
My 8.1 Vortec had 93,383 miles when it blew. Why? The catalytic converter created so much back pressure it blew the seals out and pumped the oil out at 55mph. It was just short of $10k to have all the work done.

Ouch! Was there a way to know that your CC was malfunctioning? I've never heard of this.

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
My 8.1 Vortec had 93,383 miles when it blew. Why? The catalytic converter created so much back pressure it blew the seals out and pumped the oil out at 55mph. It was just short of $10k to have all the work done.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Totally irrelevant and off-topic, but may provide some relief of the shadenfreude sort for the OP: my son in law recently blew the engine in his Porsche: a rod came through the block. His new engine is going to cost him $40,000. Be glad your RV isn't powered by Porsche.

My mechanic told me he'd kill me if I bought a German car lol

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Totally irrelevant and off-topic, but may provide some relief of the shadenfreude sort for the OP: my son in law recently blew the engine in his Porsche: a rod came through the block. His new engine is going to cost him $40,000. Be glad your RV isn't powered by Porsche.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
I have over 200,000 on my 7.4. Treat it right and you should get that kind of miles. No engine work, just routine maintenance.
Long block is about $3000. add in external components another $1500. Installation will put cost up to nearly $10,000.

Maybe 3k oil changes if that is all that it is driven in a year, but that is real old school! Most gas engines now state 5k to 7.5k, the oil and additives today are far better than in years past.
I changed the oil in my 2001 Cummins at 10k and when I needed to change the tappet gallery gasket at 300k it was clean.

Best to have it analyzed when changing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I knew someone who had the engine in their Fleetwood Flair replaced after it self-destructed while they were in Florida.
It cost a little over 10K.