Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

New technology will always come with baby teeth, but just from my experience.
3 years ago new DPF was $3000, while cleaning shops were rare and DIY cleaners not available. Also lack of driver education, when aborted regenerations create cascade of troubles.
Now aftermarket DPF cost $600, you can buy monitoring scanner for $49, plenty of DPF shops around and DIY cleaners are not needed, when you monitor the system work and accordingly.
The 230-250 HP 7.3l is slow and gas guzzler comparing to "not so new" 6.7l.
I can only wonder what newer diesel will bring.
My huge Sprinter van delivers 22 mpg, when the engine introduced 4 years ago in Europe delivers even more, with more HP.
Can we expect 25 mpg from new Powerstroke?
Bottom line, I am not looking back to 7.3l and I am not picky about pollution.

This is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are equally good for what they are and what they do but they aren't the same or even in the same category of functionality. Maneuverability, reduced noise and fuel mileage are great assets of the Sprinter but that is about it in comparison to a heavy duty pickup truck. An F350 (regardless of year) gives you the option to move 6 people in comfort and safety. It also allows you to carry a 5000lb camper and tow a trailer carrying all the toys. You can drop everything at camp and drive to town or go exploring in just the truck if you wanted. You can use the truck at home to haul stuff when needed or even daily driver it if you wanted. You can haul a 5th wheel when the family of six declares the camper is to small to camp in. Don't get me wrong, the Sprinters are fantastic rigs for what they do and I would strongly consider one if it was just the wife and I touring the country but that is a completely different life than I have right now.

In regards to the speed of the 7.3 (or the lack as you suggest) that is easily addressed with a few upgrades. Granted I probably have ~$12k in performance upgrades under the hood but really a simple 6 position tuner chip will unlock a lot of potential for a few hundred dollars. Not having driven the 6.7 myself, I can't say for certain if I will outrun one but I am confident that I would give it a run for it's money. It is easily the fastest vehicle I have driven.

The thing about the 7.3 is that while it isn't perfect, the foundation is there to give you years of trouble free miles and potential for significant power upgrades if that is your thing. All without the complications of having the EPA shove an emissions system that when it fails is too expensive to replace.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2000 F350 7.3. 160,000 miles. Replaced a few hoses. Always service trans and coolant every 50K. Oil changes (whatever Costco has on sale) every 5K. New fuel filter and clean the air filter every 10K. It just keeps on chugging. I keep in on a trickle charge to keep the batteries up. If I had to put $5,000 into it, it would still be worth it.
While the mileage doesn't match up to my Prius, it is still relatively good. 13mpg towing my 10K 5th wheel and 16mpg+ during routine daily driving (more on highway only, of course). I'll see if one of my grand sons wants it when I decide driving it is a chore. Then they can throw all that high horsepower **** on it while having fun with it.

VTLee

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1997 7.3 Powerstroke with 5 speedstandard shift. Bought it brand new with the camper package specially for hauling my 9.5 ft. 1993 Sunline. Both are in excellent shape as they are garage kept when not traveling. Truck has 147,000 miles on it and has only been used for camping.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is HP on 1997 Powerstroke? I remember that as non-turbo version with mechanical IP?
1 more thing I forgot- common on those models was clog on fuel tank strainers.
Somehow the plastic strainers were catching shellacs or whatever, who barely visible to bare eye would clog the fine strainer.
Had to do on both of my trucks and it is not fun on freeway shoulder.

Elk_traveler

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 7.3L powerstroke is a 1996 and if not mistaken it is a 420ft.lb of torque. It is pure raw diesel power from the ground up. A new Ford diesel the 6.7L engine is and old gasoline converted block that was put in the Ford 392 cu-ft engines in 1962. The International 7.3L diesel was designed from scratch as a diesel engine. The torque delivered is sustained power even under max load whereas the new Ford engines only deliver instant and temporary power and cannot be sustained which is whats make the old 7.3L a better engine to begin with for diesel power. Sure it has a lot of bells and whistles and chinese electronics so you can pay more money to buy but that is all. My truck has less than 77K. I think at the time the first maintenance was scheduled for the 100,000 mile mark which I never reached. I have thus far done all the maintenance myself and as state 90% if miles came from traveling the Rockies of Wyoming, Montana and Colorado towing towing and 5th wheels. The last 5th wheel was a 33 footer weighing 14K and I traveled the Beartooth Highway down from Red Montana with it. After so many years and getting old we gone to motorhome with V10 engine which is a joke compared the to the old 7.3L which is now in the garage and I make the rounds to car shows with it.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 1996 7.3 is listed as having 215 HP and 450 ft. lb. torque.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

The 1996 7.3 is listed as having 215 HP and 450 ft. lb. torque.

The beauty of these engines was they are so under powered and so over built hence why they are lasting hundreds of thousands of miles. After extensive mods like I have done, I'm pushing between 400hp and 450hp guestimated by the mechanic that did the work (and use to drag race a 7.3 Excursion). I'm not going to the track and I don't make a habit of driving with a lead foot but I very much appreciate the power and responsiveness I now have.

The way I see it about the only significant detractor of the 7.3 is how loud it is in the cab. That is ultimately what may force us to upgrade to something newer. We plan to be on the road for three months at a time and unless I can figure out how to get some significant sound deadening, the wife won't be happy listening to the roar of the engine on the open highway nearly as much as I would.

7.3driver

Central Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Early 1999 F350, crew cab, dully, 8 foot bed, auto trans, w/tow package, 4.10 limited slip. Current mileage 92,500.
My dad bought it new in Dec. 98. He passed away in 08 but not before taking it to the east coast, Chicago, Alaska (arctic circle) and a few other shorter trips, we live in Central Texas. I inherited it upon his passing.

Sold the 5th wheel, did not want something that big.

Early 2020 I started to do some mods to prep for a camper.
Installed a Mishimoto trans cooler, TS performance chip and piller gauge pod (trans temp,fuel pressure, ETG and boost gauges). Installed Rancho RS9000XL shocks all 4 corners. Already have Firestone air bags that my dad installed.
Found someone selling a complete Torklift camper frame mounts and 20k hitch.

That's the truck.

Bought a 2000 Bigfoot 25c10.6 around Aug. last year and in the process of fixing a few issues. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet.
Wish I could post a picture from my tablet.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7.3driver wrote:

Wish I could post a picture from my tablet.

Try this.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

36guy

Princeton

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you who think this was fords finest truck, let me say this...I had a 95, stick, bought new, 215 horse, loved that truck to death. Owned it ten years, 9 fan belts, 3 sets of injector O rings, 2 sets of $500 apiece injectors, 2 alternators, dual mass flywheel gave out under warranty, then again at around 100,000 miles,installed a Luc single mass flywheel and clutch set up, was warned by my tranny guy that the input shaft in the getrag 5 speed would fail because of the clutch upgrade, it did, new transmission happened, that was the last straw.
I pulled a cougar 244 fifth, 10,500 lbs, that old truck did a good job.
Sold it, bought an 07 classic body duramax LBZ, still own that, nothing but oil changes, lotsa miles, best truck I've ever owned, I'll never own a ford again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.