Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I remember now that we rarely listened to the radio in my ‘95 F350. The cab just wasn’t quiet enough for that.

Just about every air intake modification available that lets the engine breath easier will also let a lot more intake and turbo noise be heard than the OEM air filter setup. Plus, you may have a non-OEM turbo and some of them just make more noise than others.

Does your truck have a muffler? When I put a 4” exhaust on mine I did away with the muffler and converter. The only thing in my exhaust was a US Gear exhaust brake.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

I haven’t owned mine very long but I’m definitely going to recommend ear plugs. I went on a 4.5 hour trip two days in a row to buy a TC.

For about two days afterwards, I could still hear turbochargers ringing in my head. I don’t know if that’s due to aftermarket modifications but seriously, ear plugs are a necessity for my 7.3.

For reference, mine is 2000 super duty with banks chip, banks waste gate, 4”exhaust and air raid air filter box housing K&N air filter.

Vehicle has 190,600 miles so far no fuel in coolant doesn’t burn oil. I’ve only put about 1000 miles on this recently acquired vehicle.

Pretty much any mod to intake/exhaust or turbo will make it louder. Just for giggles, try stuffing a piece of foam over the top of the filter inside the AFE box. And if your truck is straight piped, the most economical bang for the buck to quiet it down is a 30” auger type resonator. Like a FTE or similar.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, the noise is often downplayed by actual owners.
When I drove my 7.3l truck to customers, they would wait for me on driveway as they could hear me 2 blocks away.
With 6.7l I could listen to opera music while pulling 7500lb on 6% grade.
That thing would pull heavy at 1300 rpm.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/21 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F-350shortBed wrote:

I haven’t owned mine very long but I’m definitely going to recommend ear plugs. I went on a 4.5 hour trip two days in a row to buy a TC.

For about two days afterwards, I could still hear turbochargers ringing in my head. I don’t know if that’s due to aftermarket modifications but seriously, ear plugs are a necessity for my 7.3.

For reference, mine is 2000 super duty with banks chip, banks waste gate, 4”exhaust and air raid air filter box housing K&N air filter.

Vehicle has 190,600 miles so far no fuel in coolant doesn’t burn oil. I’ve only put about 1000 miles on this recently acquired vehicle.

The noise is definitely one of the few downfalls of the 7.3. It isn't even really the engine as a whole but rather the injectors that make most of the noise. I ended up going to single shot injectors which are notoriously louder than OEM so I went backwards in the sound department. Your 4" exhaust is probably the largest culprit along with the filter box.

My truck isn't my daily driver (stays indoors except to haul the camper) and the noise actually helps to put the twin babies to sleep so it actually kind of is a plus (though still annoying after a long drive). Long term if we were cross country RVing I would need to make changes. Either figure out a way to make it quieter or heaven forbid purchase a newer truck and keep the old girl stored as a classic.

I have looked into sound dampening and I think there are some things that could be done to make it quieter but it will never be as quiet as a modern diesel. There are hush panels from the Excursion (hard to find now) that can go on the inside and take a few db off. I've considered adding some thicker sound dampening material to the firewall in the engine bay but that would be very difficult without pulling the engine. Another person considered making under engine panels with sound deadening material on it based off their experience of driving in snow and noticing how much more quiet it was but figuring out how to mount it all correctly would be a pain.

I've seen a few Youtube videos of guys taking their interior apart and adding dampening all over it. It seems that most of these guys are not as happy as they thought they would be. I think insulating the cab helps with road noise but when the engine is making the most noise, it doesn't matter if you reduce road noise while the engine is still the loudest part of the equation.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

F-350shortBed wrote:

The noise is definitely one of the few downfalls of the 7.3. It isn't even really the engine as a whole but rather the injectors that make most of the noise. I ended up going to single shot injectors which are notoriously louder than OEM so I went backwards in the sound department. Your 4" exhaust is probably the largest culprit along with the filter box.

My truck isn't my daily driver (stays indoors except to haul the camper) and the noise actually helps to put the twin babies to sleep so it actually kind of is a plus (though still annoying after a long drive). Long term if we were cross country RVing I would need to make changes. Either figure out a way to make it quieter or heaven forbid purchase a newer truck and keep the old girl stored as a classic.

I have looked into sound dampening and I think there are some things that could be done to make it quieter but it will never be as quiet as a modern diesel. There are hush panels from the Excursion (hard to find now) that can go on the inside and take a few db off. I've considered adding some thicker sound dampening material to the firewall in the engine bay but that would be very difficult without pulling the engine. Another person considered making under engine panels with sound deadening material on it based off their experience of driving in snow and noticing how much more quiet it was but figuring out how to mount it all correctly would be a pain.

I've seen a few Youtube videos of guys taking their interior apart and adding dampening all over it. It seems that most of these guys are not as happy as they thought they would be. I think insulating the cab helps with road noise but when the engine is making the most noise, it doesn't matter if you reduce road noise while the engine is still the loudest part of the equation.

I did that as I had to replace the floor anyways. I lined from under the dash as high as I could get to just under the back window and the inside of the doors with a dynomat like product, then I put a double layer of jute and carpet. made a significant difference. I still felt guilty starting it up in a campground at 7 am when it was time to get back on the road, but at least it was way more quiet than a dodge 12 or 24 valve haha. but like some have said the 6.7 is more quiet than the gas engines.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know where all of the noise is coming from for the 7.3 since I haven’t had one. When I had a 6.0, I added the factory hood insulation “liner” and starting running Rotella Synthethetic. The combination got rid of a lot of noise.

Btw, the Onan propane generator that many of us have also got quite a bit quieter when I changed the oil to synthetic.

YMMV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

HandyRandy

Northern Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still have 2 7.3s - both 1999. Bought the F250 in 2000. It has 249,000 and (except for the transmission) has needed little more than routine service. I bought it for a Hallmark pop-up. I added pillar gauges, 4" exhaust, ham radio, Ford AIS Intake. In 2011 I upgraded to a Lance 1030 and the F250 wasn't quite enough truck. I found a 1999 F350 DRW manual transmission and have put ~75,000 on it. It has required typical service - alternator, glow plugs, rear pinion seal, transfer case motor and vacuum motor on the auto trans ESOF F250 - but the engine has been bomb proof. Since I already knew the truck I did the same upgrades plus a DIY exhaust brake.

Do I "love" them? Not really, but they are paid for, run great, do what I need them to do and I know them inside and out. If someone wanted to give me a $70,000 truck, I wouldn't turn them down, but I don't covet a new truck enough to pay the $. I'll run the now 22 year old 7.3s until it doesn't make sense.

1999 F350 Super Cab, DRW, 7.3 4" Exhaust, Ford AIS Intake, RideRites, Gauges, Exhaust Brake, PHP Chip
2003 Lance 1030 295W Solar

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I don’t know where all of the noise is coming from for the 7.3 since I haven’t had one. When I had a 6.0, I added the factory hood insulation “liner” and starting running Rotella Synthethetic. The combination got rid of a lot of noise.

Btw, the Onan propane generator that many of us have also got quite a bit quieter when I changed the oil to synthetic.

YMMV.

I think the main noise on diesel is due to injection and spontanic combustion as the result.
On newer diesel the computer makes up to 5 smaller injections per single combustion, what brings the noise level to what gasoline engines have.
Also turbos get better, quieter ducting.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noise is from the HEUI system.

https://www.dieselhub.com/tech/heui.html

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jtime wrote:

Alright guys let’s keep it on topic!

Anyone done a TC on a 7.3 with a flat deck ?

I considered doing this on my F250 6.0, but I had little reserve weight capacity to carry more items on the truck even if I made more volume available.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who’s still using a 7.3 diesel truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.