cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas Credit Cards

Green_Goblin
Explorer
Explorer
I have been researching credit cards and gas cards for the last couple years now. One of the cards that has the best returns is a Shell card. What comes in second is Chase. Given that RVing requires a lot of gas and utilities (lp tanks) that get purchased at gas stations. What do you use for a CC? There isn't one universal card for Coast to Coast use because most gas stations are typically grouped into regions. What I have found, for myself, is my REI credit card. The 2% I will get back is used for camping gear replacement every year. I will probably average into the 100s to a 1000 as I already get back about 250$ each year with normal use. So what do you use for coast to coast use?
61 REPLIES 61

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"LOL. Somehow you're 50 points better than a perfect score?"

Sorry I miss spoke. I now remember one being 809 so that's where the confusion was. thanks for the correction.

Bottom line pay your bills and DON'T have too many CC's.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Never miss an opportunity for a good pic....
And never assume your situation is the same as someone elseโ€™s who is providing you advice.
If I have something a long as a semi truck, I would expect to need to fuel it somewhere that has access for a semi truck.... "

All points so true!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
20 points means nothing.

My score is 900 and never carry a balance. Use other peopleโ€™s money!!!

LOL. Somehow you're 50 points better than a perfect score?
Extra credit, for driving a Dodge Cummins probably...I should check mine!
Hope they didn't deduct any points because I got a new Chevy...I can prove that I don't own it so it shouldn't go against my credit score! Hahaha

I am thinking hyperbole. Or a mix up with SAT scores. :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
If I have something a long as a semi truck, I would expect to need to fuel it somewhere that has access for a semi truck....

I filled up at a truck stop on our way home from camp last night. It sure feels good to just pull straight in and straight out when we're done. Plus I don't have to look up at the canopy and wonder if we're going to clear it.

We had a real attention-getter in Utah last year. It was the only station for miles around and I didn't feel like dropping the trailer just to fuel up, so I pulled into the pumps knowing I'd have to back out. The store clerks both had heart attacks when they saw me pull in.

We had most of the town's attention already before my wife walked out into the street and stopped traffic so I could back out.

There's almost always a way to get in and out, but I'll take the truck stops when I can.

Like button!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
20 points means nothing.

LOL. Somehow you're 50 points better than a perfect score?
Extra credit, for driving a Dodge Cummins probably...I should check mine!
Hope they didn't deduct any points because I got a new Chevy...I can prove that I don't own it so it shouldn't go against my credit score! Hahaha

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
If I have something a long as a semi truck, I would expect to need to fuel it somewhere that has access for a semi truck....

I filled up at a truck stop on our way home from camp last night. It sure feels good to just pull straight in and straight out when we're done. Plus I don't have to look up at the canopy and wonder if we're going to clear it.

We had a real attention-getter in Utah last year. It was the only station for miles around and I didn't feel like dropping the trailer just to fuel up, so I pulled into the pumps knowing I'd have to back out. The store clerks both had heart attacks when they saw me pull in.

We had most of the town's attention already before my wife walked out into the street and stopped traffic so I could back out.

There's almost always a way to get in and out, but I'll take the truck stops when I can.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
20 points means nothing.

Biggie is to have only a couple cArds as too many does effect rating even if paid off. Auto ins rates are tied to this.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Many Years ago....Service Station Credit Cards were the thing to have/use for fuel purchases.
Dad had a Texaco, Shell and Conoco

NOW ---any Visa, Mastercard, Discovery etc CC can be used and get CASH BACK
Easy-peasy ---no need to try find a specific service station just to use their CC
Pull up, pay will Cash Back CC, fill up and continue trip.

1 CC is set up for 3% Cash Back on Fuel
1 CC is set up for 3% Cash Back on Grocery
1 CC is set up for 3% Cash Back for On-line purchases

2 other CCs are set up for all around use....just as backups

SWMBO is a master at playing credit card giveback. Anytime we go somewhere together, I have to ask her which credit card. I can't keep track of the changing programs. We pay off the credit cards every month, so interest rates don't bother me, and none of our cards have a fee except AMEX.

Bad side to paying everything off every month, we just sold our house, and my credit rating dropped 20 points ๐Ÿ˜ž

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Not worth a few cents a gallon when you are towing something like this. Fuel at Major Truck stops with no issues. That's well worth a few cents per gallon IMHO!

Never miss an opportunity for a good pic....
And never assume your situation is the same as someone elseโ€™s who is providing you advice.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Not worth a few cents a gallon when you are towing something like this.
Yep. I fuel where it's convenient, not for the lowest price or when I'm running on fumes. My money works for me now.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We donโ€™t have any credit cards we use debit cards or cash.

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
For us, the credit card is all about convienence. I rarely ever use cash for anything. Can't remember the last time I used an ATM. All of our regular bills are auto-paid with the credit card plus you get a nice detailed statement of all your spending each month. However, if you can't pay off the card every month then you should NOT use a credit card.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not worth a few cents a gallon when you are towing something like this. Fuel at Major Truck stops with no issues. That's well worth a few cents per gallon IMHO!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
With any credit card, it is all about US as consumers managing the credit card, not letting it control US.

With any good credit card, one can go into SETTINGS and then ALERTS and set up whatever they offer in the way of alerts. A text message or email with every purchase, same for any purchases over a certain amount or international charges, a text message or email with a reminder of your payment due date (I have mine set for 10 days before the due date), and a host of other alerts. One can also set up automatic payments of either the minimum payment due (to avoid late charges) or pay in full balance. One can also pay weekly if you'd prefer, or however frequently you'd like. The point is to pay off the credit cards in full before any interest is added. There are exceptions but that's not for this discussion.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.