Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Gas Credit Cards
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas Credit Cards

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

If you are a vet (You may not need to be???) check out Pen Federal Credit Union.

5% back on gas purchases

you don't need to be a Vet. We have had this card for a decade or more. 5% credit each month on swipe at the pump fuel purchase applied before the bill. Advantage over some other cards is there is NO annual limit on purchases. Some cards have an annual or monthly limit on purchases (gallons or $) that qualify for the rebate.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thought about cash back cards is that you're going to buy stuff anyway, why not get a bit of it back. Yeah, maybe sometimes I buy a couple extra things because it isn't "cash", but most of what is purchased would be gotten anyway. I haven't paid a dime of credit card interest in probably 30 years, that's a fool's game.

Yeah, I'll take my $250 check from Costco and enjoy every dime.

The Costco card is what we use for gasoline and diesel. I don't really see how getting a few cents/gallon back doesn't work in my favor. I'm going to buy it anyway, and every little bit helps. Costco gas around here is the cheapest, plus the money back. Win, win. But we only fill up there when we are at Costco anyway.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

My thought about cash back cards is that you're going to buy stuff anyway, why not get a bit of it back. Yeah, maybe sometimes I buy a couple extra things because it isn't "cash", but most of what is purchased would be gotten anyway. I haven't paid a dime of credit card interest in probably 30 years, that's a fool's game.

The Costco card is what we use for gasoline and diesel. I don't really see how getting a few cents/gallon back doesn't work in my favor. I'm going to buy it anyway, and every little bit helps. Costco gas around here is the cheapest, plus the money back. Win, win. But we only fill up there when we are at Costco anyway.

We use penfed for gas, pay off every month, combined with Kroger fuel credits and it can amount to a significant saving/gallon.

And use a Visa card for everything else including many monthly bills that can be paid by CC w/o a surcharge. Again pay off every month. End result is we haven't paid for airplane tickets for travel in decades. Visa CC points have paid for all our airline travel.

We are what the credit card companies sometimes call "credit card deadbeats". We pay off the card every month, have cards with no annual fee (other than costco) and pocket the benefits.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are older folks with lots of time and on a very fixed income. We keep track of what cards do us best at any time. While Kroger fuel points are a pretty consistent winner, the 35 gallon limit is a serious factor. We do have POIs set for Sam's Club and now BJ's (not much coverage west) and both of those are consistent winners but not always convenient to the route. We no longer have Costco's because the local stores are too distant now with the above pair local.
Because we co-drive and one of us gets to be a full time navigator with wire usually available through a phone tether, We can search for fuel prices and the go back to out old Street Atlas and figure out if the divergence is cost effective. I have a spreadsheet set for that. (Aren't new laptops amazing?) What I discovered early on was that if you diverge from your planned route just to buy fuel, you have to replace both the fuel to get to that stop at next stop may now have to buy fore fuel. The computer gives us the distances very easily.
And I used to do this all with paper maps and a calculator. Gasbuddy, Waz and out of date Street Atlas really is much more simple.
Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

With prepaid debit cards, if you venture too far from the originating zipcode, the card readers you use it in WILL ask for the zipcode it was purchased in.. Lots of zipcodes to choose from and that would frustrate a skimmer thief..

The zipcode of the Wallyworld you bought the card at? How the he.... do you know or remember that? You look up Wallys zipcode and write it on the card everytime you buy one?

And you do use a CC for "internet purchases" though.
So you're paranoid about your CC getting skimmed at a gas station (it happens), but not stolen and used fraudulently through the internet (also happens)?

Still waiting on the easier way to earn the rewards than a CC....cough it up, I want to start on that today. I love free money. Please share.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I "earn" much more than $250 per yr on just 200 shares of stocks that pays a min of $.40 dividends per share per quarter.. That IS real "earnings" unlike the "cash back" credit card scam and I DIDN'T "spend" or lose money in the process.

You don't even have to buy individual stocks, there are "money markets" that also offer quarterly dividends.

CC cash back programs encourage spending, they encourage folks to pile on more on the cards than they would typically spend.. It is a "carrot" being dangled..

$250 per yr boils down to a "reward" of a measly $20 per month and to get that you will have to put $12,000-$36,000 in charges to get it depending on percentage back offered..

Granted, you could put rent, mortgage, car, electric, phone, gas and more bills on it, but now you get slapped around with a single $1,000-$3,000 CC "payment" every month.. Without ever seeing exactly what you spent and on what or knowing exactly where your money goes is a dangerous place to go..

It is too little, too late and too low of a "hanging fruit" to be of any "savings value".

You want real money, there ARE better ways to earn it that can substantially be more than any measly 1%-5% cash back CC.

I have a family member that used the zero percent "transfers" thing for many yrs, hasn't worked out well.. Can't afford to sell his home and move to a better place due to continual remortgaging to cover his bills and has more owed than the value of his home, can't afford a new vehicle, CCs are maxed out all the time, barely able to pay the min payment due so he barely gets by.

He is older than I and yet I have retired as of last yr at the ripe age of 55.. He is out of luck unless some "rich aunt" that I am not aware of dies and leaves here entire estate to him..

I guess I have done things all wrong..

CC cash backs are nothing but a toy, not worth bothering with..

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

We use a Southwest CC and get a few free flights a year. I guess if you are as rich as you are, it is a bother. Us, we buy what we would ordinarily buy and pay off the card every month for free stuff.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

I "earn" much more than $250 per yr on just 200 shares of stocks that pays a min of $.40 dividends per share per quarter.. That IS real "earnings" unlike the "cash back" credit card scam and I DIDN'T "spend" or lose money in the process.

You don't even have to buy individual stocks, there are "money markets" that also offer quarterly dividends.

CC cash back programs encourage spending, they encourage folks to pile on more on the cards than they would typically spend.. It is a "carrot" being dangled..

$250 per yr boils down to a "reward" of a measly $20 per month and to get that you will have to put $12,000-$36,000 in charges to get it depending on percentage back offered..

Granted, you could put rent, mortgage, car, electric, phone, gas and more bills on it, but now you get slapped around with a single $1,000-$3,000 CC "payment" every month.. Without ever seeing exactly what you spent and on what or knowing exactly where your money goes is a dangerous place to go..

It is too little, too late and too low of a "hanging fruit" to be of any "savings value".

You want real money, there ARE better ways to earn it that can substantially be more than any measly 1%-5% cash back CC.

I have a family member that used the zero percent "transfers" thing for many yrs, hasn't worked out well.. Can't afford to sell his home and move to a better place due to continual remortgaging to cover his bills and has more owed than the value of his home, can't afford a new vehicle, CCs are maxed out all the time, barely able to pay the min payment due so he barely gets by.

He is older than I and yet I have retired as of last yr at the ripe age of 55.. He is out of luck unless some "rich aunt" that I am not aware of dies and leaves here entire estate to him..

I guess I have done things all wrong..

So much of this is just drivel. I don't think anyone ever said that they use a CC as an investment tool. That's ridiculous. If you use a card, pay it off monthly and get cash back or rewards and pay zero in interest, how is that not a win? Especially if you were going to spend the money anyway. I am not following how putting everything on a CC gets you "slapped around" monthly with a bill. You'd have those bills anyway . "without ever seeing exactly what you spent on" - This makes no sense at all. Just about every CC company out there allows you to see not only an itemized bill but charts showing categorization and spending habits and insight into your credit rating. Something you would have to track manually with cash. You are confusing managing debt by credit and rewards on purchases. 2 very different things. And what does any of this have to do with investing in the stock market?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our preference for fuel stops in the MH is Flying J so we have their Pilot/Fkying J RV Plus Card charge card. we have a Pilot near our home so we tend to gas the cars there. the card gets us a $0.05 p/g discount. otherwise we just use our Discover card. we stopped carrying gas CCs decades ago.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Granted, you could put rent, mortgage, car, electric, phone, gas and more bills on it, but now you get slapped around with a single $1,000-$3,000 CC "payment" every month.. Without ever seeing exactly what you spent and on what or knowing exactly where your money goes is a dangerous place to go...
If the spending is the same and the CC sends $600+ check to me every year this actually works out fine to me. I can then put the $600 extra in a mutual fund. Over a couple decades I have and extra $30,000+ in my investments.

Or pay cash and skip it. Your call.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas Credit Cards
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.