cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Cell Phone App

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Let's get specific. I have a Toyota Tacoma on order and have found that I will be able to mirror my cell phone on the Tacoma display, so didn't get navigation. I would appreciate specific recommendations for an android cell phone navigation app. Phone, of course, comes with Google Maps pre-installed, so is there something better?
Currently Between RVs
27 REPLIES 27

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
waze

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
While it sounds good to use your phone and an app to navigate but you will be happier with a Garmin for RVs. Garmin is the best of a so so bunch. Yes you will have an additional piece of hardware but money well spent.

and you won't be stuck with a tiny phone screen, I have found that bigger is better.
bumpy

Step into 2021 cell phones can now display their images on the larger built in screens of the vehicle via car play or Android auto.
You are no longer limited to the tiny phone screen on newer vehicles.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google Maps. The CoPilot is a handy app also.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, but you and I are the Grumpy-Old-Men in residence.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
I am sure I'll catch a bunch of flak over this, but based on 15 years of pulling a fiver and having used everything from a Garmin hand-held to a Rand-McNaly RVND (backed up with cell phones and/or laptops):

99.75 percent of the time a stand-alone navigation specific device with lifetime updates is more accurate and faster than any app or software.

If it can see the sky it works!

A

PS - Always carry a fairly recent print comp of the Trucker's Road Atlas.

I agree
bumpy

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure I'll catch a bunch of flak over this, but based on 15 years of pulling a fiver and having used everything from a Garmin hand-held to a Rand-McNaly RVND (backed up with cell phones and/or laptops):

99.75 percent of the time a stand-alone navigation specific device with lifetime updates is more accurate and faster than any app or software.

If it can see the sky it works!

A

PS - Always carry a fairly recent print copy of the Trucker's Road Atlas.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not had issues with Google Maps when I lose cellphone coverage. In fact the big issue with Google Maps and other similar programs is the huge use of data if you travel with Maps running continuously.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
In addition to our phones and excellent Garmin navigator, when traveling in the Western U.S. we always try to carry along several of these to cover each state we might wind-up in. They are excellent - and well worth the money: https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/atlas

I'm curious ... my phone has a huge storage memory (256GB) and as I understand it ... full GPS capability. When is SOMEONE going to come out with a super great navigation phone app (doesn't have to be free), that can hold an entire U.S. roads updateable database (updates don't have to be free) in phones with large storage capacity ... that DOES NOT need to have Internet access in order to navigate?

It seems like many of today's modern phones could be programmed and otherwise equipped to on demand perform just like (or better than) a non-Internet-connected navigation unit. :h

Your phone has GPS and uses the GPS to navigate when you don't have cell service. I use Wayze a lot when traveling and travel over mountain passes with no cell, the GPS keeps the location on the map up to date, but nothing else updates like police, incidents, etc. I also have a map app on my dash cam app, kind of cool as it also shows you the road ahead. But Wayze is my go to.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
After spending a small fortune on Garmin GPS's over the years I bought the Copilot RV APP for $6.99. You don't need internet connection, is automatically updated and it works with no cell towers. You can set the ht of your RV and it will avoid low brides and propane restricted tunnels. It came with active traffic for 30 days then you had to pay. Instead of paying I just use Waze when around cities to check for traffic backups.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Life, Sygic Truck/caravan, and trucker path all are big rig specific apps that allow full offline map capabilities. I just found out that Sygic has a plugin for Chrome and Firefox that allows you to send a route to the app so I'll probably be investing the $75 in a 3 year license for their caravan product. If I don't like that I'll try trucker path gold at $99/year. It's basically the Google maps interface tweaked for truck specific routing/POI and with full offline database. If it wasn't so expensive I'd probably just pay right now as it has the best interface of all the big rig solutions I've tried.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
In addition to our phones and excellent Garmin navigator, when traveling in the Western U.S. we always try to carry along several of these to cover each state we might wind-up in. They are excellent - and well worth the money: https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/atlas

I'm curious ... my phone has a huge storage memory (256GB) and as I understand it ... full GPS capability. When is SOMEONE going to come out with a super great navigation phone app (doesn't have to be free), that can hold an entire U.S. roads updateable database (updates don't have to be free) in phones with large storage capacity ... that DOES NOT need to have Internet access in order to navigate?

It seems like many of today's modern phones could be programmed and otherwise equipped to on demand perform just like (or better than) a non-Internet-connected navigation unit. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Google maps will cache an area for you.

Google Maps has offered this feature for a long time. Just create the route on your phone while you have internet access and it will ask if you want to download it for offline use. The data will stay on your phone for a few months. Google will ask if you want to keep and update the stored maps as the expiration date nears.

We use our Garmin regularly. If we are going to an unfamiliar location or if I think Garmin is steering us wrong, I will confirm with Google Maps.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google maps will cache an area for you. If you want true no internet access ever the RV Life app and Sygic Truck/RV both allow you to download the entire US map set for offline use.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
While not towing, I only use waze app.

When towing, I have an older garmin that will be upgraded to RV unit this fall. I like having two different sources available. When they are in conflict with each other, then it gets to be interesting, and I have used a 3rd source, Inrex which will often allow me to quickly identify why there's a conflict.