Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Best Cell Phone App
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best Cell Phone App

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's get specific. I have a Toyota Tacoma on order and have found that I will be able to mirror my cell phone on the Tacoma display, so didn't get navigation. I would appreciate specific recommendations for an android cell phone navigation app. Phone, of course, comes with Google Maps pre-installed, so is there something better?

2005 Leisure Sprinter Class B/2015 Honda CTX700

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google Maps is the best on android phones but doesn't let you know about RV specific dangers like low bridges. RV Trip Wizard has the “RV LIFE GPS & Campgrounds” app but it's a little clunky. I prefer using RV Trip Wizard on my home computer and plan out my trips so I know the route doesn't have any issues Then I recreate it in Google Maps and send it to my phone via text message. Don't do it in "My Maps" of the Google map options as there is no navigation feature to that. Just use the regular Google maps and have the route texted to your phone. So far this way has worked great for me.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Despite some of the RV specific nav apps, I still prefer WAZE. I like that fact that updates are real time from other users.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While it sounds good to use your phone and an app to navigate but you will be happier with a Garmin for RVs. Garmin is the best of a so so bunch. Yes you will have an additional piece of hardware but money well spent.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

While it sounds good to use your phone and an app to navigate but you will be happier with a Garmin for RVs. Garmin is the best of a so so bunch. Yes you will have an additional piece of hardware but money well spent.

and you won't be stuck with a tiny phone screen, I have found that bigger is better.
bumpy

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

wildtoad wrote:

and you won't be stuck with a tiny phone screen, I have found that bigger is better.
bumpy

If your phone pairs/mirrors to the truck screen, you don't need to rely on a small screen. My WAZE displays on my truck's large screen. It also give the audio prompts through the truck's stereo.

I had a Garmin RV specific unit. The issue I had was that it's really outdated. Even with recent updates, it was always out of date. That said, we really don't travel many places that aren't RV friendly.

* This post was edited 02/19/21 09:32am by way2roll *

ronharmless

The far side

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A third vote for WAZE.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't WAZE requie Internet access? If so, it's of no use in many places in the western U.S. where we travel.

We prefer complete independence from the Internet, so we use detailed map atlas books and our satellite-based Garmin unit with it's free updates so we can keep it always up to date for free.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Doesn't WAZE requie Internet access? If so, it's of no use in many places in the western U.S. where we travel.

We prefer complete independence from the Internet, so we use detailed map atlas books and our satellite-based Garmin unit with it's free updates so we can keep it always up to date for free.

TomTom, though not free, does not need internet. Maps updated once a quarter. Needs internet for real time traffic, but if you are where there is no internet, traffic probably not an issue.

Ridgeway, SC

ericosmith

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll likely just want to use android auto. After a first use it just fires up automatically. It used to ask whether to use Google Maps or Waze but I think since Google is combining the features of the two apps it uses maps automatically.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best Cell Phone App
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.