Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th wheel tire review
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel tire review

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got Goodyear G614 235/85R16's on my 2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K with a GVWR of 16,600. The date codes are from late 2013 and early 2014. They look OK but.... I was thinking of changing them before hitting the road for any long distances.

I called the local Goodyear Commercial tire store and got a quote of roughly $1800 all up for a set of 14 ply G614's LT's. The next option down were the ST Endurance 10 plies for about $950 all up.

Obviously the 14 plies are the best way to go but I'm not sure I can step up financially. Would I be skating on thin ice with the set of Endurances on my rig?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at, priced the Sailun tires.
Sailun has a pretty good rep with forum members.

The Endurance are proving themselves to be dependable, but probably best suited to lighter trailers.

Jerry

obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

The Endurance are proving themselves to be dependable, but probably best suited to lighter trailers.

Jerry

I've read all the good chatter on the Sailuns but the nearest accredited dealer to me is in Tulsa about 100 miles away. I'm also concerned about warranty replacement when I'm far from home. Most likely there will be a Sams Club or Goodyear Commercial dealer not too far away.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider the fact that you can probably replace one of the Sailuns out of your own pocket if it fails, which is unlikely, for less than what you'll pay for the Goodyear G614. It's pretty expensive insurance.

The Goodyear are nearly double the cost of the Sailun.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like Walmart offers the Sailun for about 900 bucks all up, but do I trust them to install properly? Of course, I'd check the torque myself before leaving and do the re-torque myself.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I'd be worried about with Walmart is if you're planning on having the tires balanced. Many trailers/5th wheels have the lug-centric wheels rather than hub-centric. And most shops aren't set up to balance lug-centric wheels. Trying to balance lug-centric wheels without the adapter will give you out of balance wheels.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

The only thing I'd be worried about with Walmart is if you're planning on having the tires balanced. Many trailers/5th wheels have the lug-centric wheels rather than hub-centric. And most shops aren't set up to balance lug-centric wheels. Trying to balance lug-centric wheels without the adapter will give you out of balance wheels.

I bought my last set from Simple Tire, they were just over 8 months old, sent them back. My first set I had bought from a local dealer on a price match, they were two months old.

After sending this second set back , I ordered another set from Walmart ,delivered to my home. Took them ,and the wheels ,and tires off my fifth wheel to a local dealer. Actually the one I bought my first set from. They had no problem with mounting ,and balancing them . I did give them the opportunity to price match this set, they were unable or unwilling to do so.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obie311 wrote:

It looks like Walmart offers the Sailun for about 900 bucks all up, but do I trust them to install properly? Of course, I'd check the torque myself before leaving and do the re-torque myself.

Take them somewhere else other then Walmart, as I did . If they do them there ,its going to be outside anyway I would think , you could stand right over them to make sure they are done right.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obie311 wrote:

MFL wrote:

Jerry

I've read all the good chatter on the Sailuns but the nearest accredited dealer to me is in Tulsa about 100 miles away. I'm also concerned about warranty replacement when I'm far from home. Most likely there will be a Sams Club or Goodyear Commercial dealer not too far away.

You will find a Walmart quicker then those two [emoticon] And a much better tire then the one mentioned. Sailun is arguably the best fifth wheel tire available. I wouldn't run anything else.

obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with the Sailuns from Walmart. Date codes were late 2020 and made in Vietnam.

$740.12 out the door. I'm going to a real non-chain tire store that does heavy trucks to have them mounted today.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel tire review
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.