Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Texas winterizing...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas winterizing...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easy to criticize. It even has a popular moniker

MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK

My guilt is visiting a friend in Lake Jackson TX IN 2005. He had a 700,000 home with expensive cars and maybe a half million dollars worth of toys and tools stuffed into a 5 car garage. His parents left him a fortune in inheritance.

First visit I remarked how vulnerable the region looked to flooding. I was ridiculed. I have a bus and a concrete shack on a Michoacan promontory.

Then came that stalled hurricane. He lost everything and fled to Louisiana. I learned he died 6 months later.

The ranch I was summer raised in Montana had an attic bedroom and a bunkhouse neither of which had water. For a reason. I learned by experience to not trust herd mentality no matter how strong the peer pressure.

I feel so sorry for innocent victims. I personally trust no one outside my family for safety. We have plans for a lot of disasters. Las Peñas was built on a horribly rocky promontory for a reason. I have generators, water and food storage for a reason.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 1984-built house is on a slab. Some of the plumbing is in the slab. Some of it goes through the attic. What's in the attic has pipe insulation on it, and it's buried until 25" of insulation. At present, we have discovered zero cracks, leaks or breaks in our house lines.

Our previous house near Fort Hood had all the lines inside the slab. When there's a problem, that is very, very expensive to fix. I am not at all fond of this construction method.

I grew up in a pier and beam house in the Panhandle, which gets prolonged freezing weather every year. The plumbing was in the crawl space. It was thickly wrapped with whatever passed for pipe insulation back then (probably asbestos), and each winter Dad put a single incandescent light near the main line. The well house was more heavily insulated than the main house, but Dad also had an incandescent light shining there all winter. The lines never did freeze up.

If folks prepare, they usually come through okay.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

NO problem with pipes in the ceiling provided two things

ONE: The furnace works (Which it does not without power)
Two: The insulation (or another floor) is ABOVE the pipes.

Had my house insulated and the blasted kitchen pipes froze. Well the insulation was between the pipes and the inside. I dug it out and insulated between the pipes and OUTSIDE no more problems.

As to power. When the national grids were purposed there were rules and regulations including some about winterizing.. Texas opted to not join the grid so they did not have to spend the few dollars to winterize... and now they are freezing their Rumps.... Profit over People. that's the reason for the freezin.

This is very sad -- and criminal incompetence.

There are reports of a veteran being billed $17,000 off his life's savings.

I am not making this up, the electric company's name is Griddy.[emoticon]

And then in comparison, there are areas like El Paso who have had not major electricity cut off because they choose to be connected to the national grid and other states supplying their needs when the area generating plants are down.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I view the power plans based upon the wholesale market prices of electricity (like those from Griddy) the same as home mortgages with variable interest rates.

Who is at fault here; the ones who offered these plans or those who purchased them?

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Businesses can be predatory or non-predatory. It is up to the consumer to read the contract print and shy away from double-speak propositions. I watched the 1989 California electrical deregulation debacle from down here with friends. They could not believe how gullible consumers were.

To me, life sustaining utilities is not the place to play games. Predation upon adults is one thing, upon the very elderly and children quite another. Utilities are a captive market with no alternatives.

The 1980's devastating Yellowstone National Park fire and California's recent fires demonstrate expert oversight is needed for utilities management.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems we never learn from our fascination with deregulated-unregulated businesses -- this one essential utilities.

Remember savings & loans, housing mortgage...

* This post was edited 02/25/21 10:42am by an administrator/moderator *

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

I don't understand why all the house flooding because of busted water lines. Do people not think anymore. You know your not going to have power for several days and know you have no heat and it's below freezing. Turn the dang water main valve off! At least you you may have to repair a busted pipe somewhere later but it's not going to flood the house.

I think you'd be surprised to learn how many people have no idea how to turn the water off to their house. Most of my neighbors in our previous house didn't know where it was. At several, our house included, the landscaping installed by the builder completely hide it.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm beginning to have a good idea, lol.

I always thought these are basics and mandatory know how in home ownership.

They have no one to blame for these but themselves, but not for those days without power, except insurance will pay.

* This post was edited 02/23/21 09:47am by an administrator/moderator *

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's simple,...never admit your mistakes. Being humble is too hard.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

It's simple,...never admit your mistakes. Being humble is too hard.

That should be a good substitute for the state motto.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas winterizing...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.