Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Texas winterizing...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas winterizing...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a flaming post, just what I have to offer.

I lived in Houston, Tx more or less from 2008 - 2016, although much of that time, I was on a two-week rotational schedule to Alaska. I'd guess most of Texas other than the panhandle is unprepared for snow and freezing temps. Maybe the panhandle and West Texas are better equipped, don't know. Houston has water mains above ground as well as other infrastructure issues that aren't suited for freezing temps.

However, I was in Houston during the winters 2010 - 2013. The 2011 winter (for Houston, anyway) was nothing like the recent conditions. 2011 had fairly low temps, but not approaching Zero, more like 20's, and that only for a night or so. 2011 had, depending on location within the larger Houston area, 4" - 12" of snow...that's based on what I remember driving through and it was a race between falling snow and it melting, creating pretty slick driving conditions. It was quite the comical observation for an old Alaska boy to watch Houston drivers in snow; apparently, there's two positions for the gas pedal: full on or full off (accompanied by full brake).

Point is that Texas could probably do with some winterizing, but 2021 was not a duplicate of 2011 and 2011, taken for what it was, would not have suggested even to the most ardent "upgrader" that Texas needed to prepare for several nights of Zero degree weather.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas winterizing...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.